Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Don't buy crappy Chinese AC Compressors

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't buy crappy Chinese AC Compressors

So this makes 7 parts that have failed before their life expectancy.

About 16 months ago, I went on eBay and bought an AC compressor. Wow 125 bucks brand new - it has to be great - right?

Wrong.

I replaced the evaporator because it was leaking about a week ago. Then, I noticed as it was charging the high side was popping up and down from 270-200 at idle. When I revved the motor, it went away...so I decided to see what happens...

What happened was the AC was just OK driving down the road and went warm at idle...
So I went to my friend's and asked him. I told him about the bouncing needle at idle...he said that sucks man...

Also I have been experiencing a rattle from the belt tensioner. I went through 3 and they all did the same thing...

Well we decided to get an new Omega compressor, redid the system and viola great air.

What also I found out was the rattling was being caused by the AC clutch. It was wobbling (which you really couldn't see while it was on the van).
This wobble made the tensioner vibrate.

Lots of money later, it is fixed...man...

Glad it is done.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 04:01 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvan
Sorry man, I know this is the last thing you wanna hear right now but you get what you pay for. I would never buy critical engine parts on Ebay. Fenders, bumpers, doors, door latches, and trim parts.. maybe.

Bought a brand new Sanden four seasons 78545 compressor with clutch pre-installed on Amazon for $220 delivered. The going rate for this model (new) is about $300-$330 and $200 for used/rebuilt. Made sure to fill it with the correct amount of PAG oil, pulled full vacuum on it overnight to be sure it was dry and two years later it still works silently and perfect. New evaporator core I bought from Rockauto, (which was a huge pain to install) but also a good deal and made a huge cooling improvement.

http://amzn.com/B000E0Z7PY
thanks....

This van has been a labor of love...The AC is done and is fantastic now. I believe it will last for a very long time...

This van has always given me problems that I could not handle...just another thing on the road of life...

What really perplexes me, which shouldn't but still does, is how much crap there is out there. Some of these parts are just garbage. I have learned the hard way

My whole family loves the van...and it feels good when people say WOW this van is cool - or I miss these things - or this van is nice, I remember when....
According to a few in the industry, we have embarked on driving classics...our vans are getting to be very few and far in between. I would estimate that less than 5% are nice.

It is a labor of love, but it is worth it.

Quick Reply: Don't buy crappy Chinese AC Compressors