Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

98 B3500 Tuner? Speedo Re-Cal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. As far as I know they should only have changed the VIN and the milage on it, which is not the same as flashing the chip.

I guess my answer would be "maybe", as there's no telling the history of that PCM. I don't know how to tell the last time the unit was flashed or what version was installed. Maybe someone else here has that information.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:26 AM
torinoscj429
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exhausted ALL aftermarket sources for tuners for my 98 B3500 Ram Van. It has the "Death Flash" that so many folks say kills the gas mileage. The fantastic "Torque" app for my Android phone shows that I'm limited to 40.0 degrees of advance, even going downhill at max vacuum and no load. This seems pretty low...I was thinking it should have about 45 at light load.

How do I go about getting this reversed? Has anyone gotten a dealership to reverse the Death Flash?

If I were to find a PCM in a junkyard that did not have the sticker on it, what's involved with getting a different PCM to work? VIN and mileage data entry by an aftermarket firm?

Do the aftermarket places leave out the Death Flash when they reprogram a PCM?

Has anyone tried a pickup PCM on a van? This seems to be the hitch in getting a tuner for the van...all the tuners are for pickups. If I put a pickup PCM in it, will that allow me to get a tuner?

Thanks,

Gerard

Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 AM
daguvena88
Professional

My understanding is they are model (which is what you're asking), year, engine, emissions (federal canada/california) and transmission specific; that sometimes one can luck out straying from that but its a crapshoot.

e.g. - pg 99 shows the various PCMs specifically for 1998 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_AB_platform. Those part numbers aren't listed for any other models.

From browsing this forum, a Cardone remanufactured PCM is recommended quite a bit. I would contact Cardone to inquire about the possibility of it having this "death flash" though.

Last edited by daguvena88; 05-08-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Though you might play around and find a truck PCM that fits the engine/trans combination of your van I doubt that you would be happy with it. The PCM's are programmed to run the engine/trans with a specific weight of the vehicle and vans weigh more than most trucks. Your RPM's and shift points will not be the same, might be better, but more likely it would be worse for your van.

From an thread I have read in the past Dodge only pulled about 3 degrees of timing out of the PCM. You can go around that by doing a mod to your CPS. Using a dremel notch your screw opening wider to allow you to move it more towards the distributor. Remove the rubber grommet from the sensor so that it can be moved. Then reattach and move it up towards the drivers side of the engine.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 AM
torinoscj429
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
Though you might play around and find a truck PCM that fits the engine/trans combination of your van I doubt that you would be happy with it. The PCM's are programmed to run the engine/trans with a specific weight of the vehicle and vans weigh more than most trucks. Your RPM's and shift points will not be the same, might be better, but more likely it would be worse for your van.

From an thread I have read in the past Dodge only pulled about 3 degrees of timing out of the PCM. You can go around that by doing a mod to your CPS. Using a dremel notch your screw opening wider to allow you to move it more towards the distributor. Remove the rubber grommet from the sensor so that it can be moved. Then reattach and move it up towards the drivers side of the engine.
Thanks for the Crank Position Sensor tip! I love moving sensors! Do these engines respond to the Throttle Position Sensor adjustment also? I've done that on my Fords and Harley, and what an improvement! What is the target value for TPS voltage on a 98 Dodge B3500?

Gerard

Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM
daguvena88
Professional

Cure Death Flash - CPS Mod
Careful...move the sensor too far and can damage the sensor and/or flywheel (although I highly doubt the flywheel)

TPS Mod

Old 05-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Click on that TPS Mod link posted above and scroll up and down that article for more valuable tips to get a few more ponies out of your engine. Also did you click my IAT Mod link in my signature? If not check it out, I did it instead of just moving the OEM to the air duct to help with fuel economy and preserving the cat con.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:16 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by daguvena88
Cure Death Flash - CPS Mod
Careful...move the sensor too far and can damage the sensor and/or flywheel (although I highly doubt the flywheel)

TPS Mod
Guys-

the attachments says:

Now look at the sensor's bracket, notice the 2 bolt holes. Slot each hole 3/8" both ways, still giving the bolts something to hold onto

what does this exactly mean? Thanks

Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 AM
daguvena88
Professional

Cut/elongate the round hole into an oval slot. It should be a tad over 3/4" slot in length when done (3/8 cut + diameter of bolt hole before cutting + 3/8 cut)

The point is the largen hole so you can slide the mounting bracket into a different position.

Last edited by daguvena88; 05-11-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 AM
daguvena88
Professional

Pic of un modified in front of modified

Quick Reply: 98 B3500 Tuner? Speedo Re-Cal?