Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

98 B3500 Tuner? Speedo Re-Cal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:58 AM
torinoscj429
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found someone for the B3500 PCM!

Originally Posted by torinoscj429
I have exhausted ALL aftermarket sources for tuners for my 98 B3500 Ram Van. It has the "Death Flash" that so many folks say kills the gas mileage. The fantastic "Torque" app for my Android phone shows that I'm limited to 40.0 degrees of advance, even going downhill at max vacuum and no load. This seems pretty low...I was thinking it should have about 45 at light load.

How do I go about getting this reversed? Has anyone gotten a dealership to reverse the Death Flash?

If I were to find a PCM in a junkyard that did not have the sticker on it, what's involved with getting a different PCM to work? VIN and mileage data entry by an aftermarket firm?

Do the aftermarket places leave out the Death Flash when they reprogram a PCM?

Has anyone tried a pickup PCM on a van? This seems to be the hitch in getting a tuner for the van...all the tuners are for pickups. If I put a pickup PCM in it, will that allow me to get a tuner?

Thanks,

Gerard
I emailed BG Performance, and they have been absorbed into Arrington Performance, which looks like quite an operation! I'm new to Mopars, so maybe this company is known to you all here.

They want me to remove my computer and ship it to them in Virgina for recalibration. Has anyone ever done this? If so, what was your experience? I am looking for MPG improvement, as the motorhome has more than enough power.

Gerard

Old 05-28-2014, 07:05 AM
daguvena88
Professional

I wouldnt expect much in terms of MPG improvements.
You probably know all this, and a bit Off Topic, but I'll list what I consider more influential, easier to address, and overall good for your vehicle...

MOST significant - Driving style
Tires - pattern and properly inflated
brakes - calipers/pads not sticking, parking brake set properly/not dragging
wheel bearings in good shape, properly greased/set/torqued
plugs, rotor, wires, etc in good shape
clean filter, crankcase breather, pvc, iac, throttle body
diff fluid - synthetic
trans bands/linkage/shift points set properly
195 t stat, coolant system in good shape
belt drive pulley bearings smooth
exhaust in good shape, no restrictions

Last edited by daguvena88; 05-28-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by torinoscj429
They want me to remove my computer and ship it to them in Virgina for recalibration. Has anyone ever done this?
I would suggest buying a PCM that matches your from a salvage yard and send that in to them. Let them reprogram it and then try it on your van, if you like it great and if not then you have your original to reinstall.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 AM
torinoscj429
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
I would suggest buying a PCM that matches your from a salvage yard and send that in to them. Let them reprogram it and then try it on your van, if you like it great and if not then you have your original to reinstall.
Thank you for the tip! I was definitely thinking along the lines of carrying a spare PCM in the motorhome. When you're in the middle of nowhere, unique parts like this are hard to find and astronomically priced. I am of the mindset of replacing things before they break, and putting the still serviceable part into reserve. My stash already has a used serpentine belt, sealants, fluids, electrical parts, lug nuts, and more.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
great idea...

Quick Reply: 98 B3500 Tuner? Speedo Re-Cal?