Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fuel pump issues or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:43 PM
BlackVanDwellington
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel pump issues or something else?

Hello all. I have been Van Dwelling in a 1995 Dodge Ram Van 1500 since the start of this year. I have noticed a few times that the van cuts off on me while driving. The past two weeks it has done this so many times. So Sunday I was driving and the car started feeling like it was loosing power then once I turned it cut off. A guy passing by helped me and told me it was the fuel pump. We went to an autozone that had a pump for my van instock, and installed it that day.

Now today the van has cut off on me several times. It will drive okay for a good distance and then just cut off like before. I was just stranded on the side of a highway, but after 20 30 minutes it started back up and I drove to work.

I think I need to put in the shop. Can anyone help me on pen pointing the problem. Is it the fuel pump or something else?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:58 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

To me it sounds more like a bad ignition coil issue.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:18 PM
BlackVanDwellington

Man is that expensive to fix?

Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

An autoparts store will check ur computer for free-Im not sure if ur obd2 though--it does sound ignition related-I think that one has the cranksensor up on top-either way get the codes n plan from there--

Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 PM
BlackVanDwellington

Thing is...the person I bought the Van from told me he replaced the CPU but the one he replaced it with was the wrong one. So some features work, and some do not. Like the gas gage doesn't read. The inside lights don't work. and It's hard to see the dash at night.

I think im just going to take it in to a shop tomorrow and ride my bike to work until it's fixed. Just trying to get an idea of what it might be.

Thanks for all the help please keep it coming I greatly appreciate it!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 AM
daguvena88
Professional

Are you getting a check engine light? If so, you should have OBDII and like TRam said you should go to Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or whatever and get the diagnostic code pulled for free. That's the best place to start. Having said that, with a mismatched PCM ('cpu') I'd be somewhat skeptical of the codes you pull.

The ignition coil is very easy to replace. You can diagnose a bad coil if you want, but I'd probably just replace it for the few bucks it costs. Its two bolts, a wire harness disconnects underneath, and a wire boot pops off the top.

It is located on the passenger side of the engine, towards the front, just ahead of the right valve cover and to the right of the thermostat and alternator. The 9th spark plug wire runs to it.

----

When it 'cuts off' does the starter even turn/crank afterwards or do you get nothing when you turn the key?

Last edited by daguvena88; 04-29-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 AM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

culprit in my 92 was the computer
doing the same thing

Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM
BlackVanDwellington

Originally Posted by daguvena88
When it 'cuts off' does the starter even turn/crank afterwards or do you get nothing when you turn the key?
When it cuts of it will crank and turn over but won't start. Then if you sit for awhile it will start. Yesterday when I was on my way to work it did this a couple of times. The first time it started right back up. Got a few miles down the road and I felt the car dying so I pulled over to the side. The car cranked, but didn't start. Waited awhile....crank no start. Finally.....crank and start and I was able to make it to work from there. After work....no problems like that what so ever.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 PM
daguvena88
Professional

Doesn't rule out a faulty PCM, ignition coil, bad CPS sensor, bad ground (engine to chassis), distributor/rotor issues, and so on but a common issue seems to be a finicky ASD relay.

Not sure about a '95, but its generally in the engine comparment mounted against the firewall, under the brake booster, just to the left of the battery.
Looks like this. Looking at the mounted unit, the relay on the left is ASD, the one on the right is pump. If either of those is bad/finicky, it could cause these issues.

Do you get a check engine light?

BTW, you mind as well just replace the ignition coil and get it over with. The more I browse these forums, its obvious alloro has the problem nailed down.

Last edited by daguvena88; 04-29-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM
BlackVanDwellington

Im going to replace the ignition coil hopefully by the weekend. I don't get a check engine light though. Today coming to work it ran perfect, but im not going to let that block me from making repairs. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issues or something else?