Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need help replacing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:53 PM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help replacing fuel pump

1996 Dodge Ram Van B2500 2wd, 3.9L V6, Automatic, SWB, Conversion Van, 35 gal fuel tank, with CA emissions

So I just got a new fuel pump. it appears to be adjustable, like it can drop lower or raise up via screws on the sides....

I have not pulled the old one out yet, but will also compare it to this one when I get it out.

Where do I set it at? like an inch off the bottom of the tank? or let the filter sit on the bottom?

not sure if this is related or not, but with my current one, at 1/3 of a tank, the vehicle will stall out and not run properly if at all... maybe this is due to the height of the unit in there?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 AM
jimbo74
Veteran

so got the tank down and out, it's chilling in my garage..... 22 gallons later, man was that heavy..... well, my wife's car is full now haha......

anyways, I noticed the unit in the tank also slid up and down... is this correct? or is it supposed to be at a set height?

I did notice, where those screws were, that there was a grove worn through part of it, like it was stuck or something like that.....

the tank itself was relatively clean on the inside, surprisingly.....

I did notice that there is a rubber plug on top of the assembly, and that piece is not present on my new pump... what is the best way to remove it? it is large, probably at least an inch in diamemter

Old 05-10-2014, 02:49 PM
sparkzz
Veteran

Just take the rollover valve off the old one, put it on the new one, put the new gasket on the tank, and paying attention to the float and the outlet/electrical positions, push it down into the tank and tighten the collar. There is no height adjustment.

Didn't they give you directions with the new one?

Last edited by sparkzz; 05-10-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:57 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

there were no directions at all.....

thinking about it, I already pulled the old one... and did not pay attention to the orientation it had......

I did notice there was a triangle plastic part on top, is this for orientation? if so, where does it aim?

Old 05-10-2014, 03:06 PM
sparkzz
Veteran

Just position it such that the fuel line and the electrical plug will line up with the pump nozzle and electrical connector.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

well, all is said and done... almost

its all mounted back up and everything, but no fuel in it yet..... I had to go buy a 5 gallon can....

ok, so..... here are a few issues I ran into..... I did discover that you do not adjust the pump, it is supposed to freely slide up and down..... my old one really didn't slide.... I tried to get that big rubber plug and grommet out, and couldn't get it for use on the new one.... so I disassembled the old one, and cut the cylinder off the old pump housing, split it, and was able to save the grommet and the plug..... now, when I put the grommet in, it was fine, but the plug wouldn't go in. So I used some motor oil on the grommet and was able to push it in.... I didn't like the condition of the fuel line clip when I was trying to put it back on, so I went to O'reilly, and got new clips. They were for a FORD, but the clips looked near identical.

The reason I haven't put gas in it yet, is I don't like the condition of the fuel filler neck seal to tank. I have found one at AutoZone, and will be picking it up tomorrow. it is $15.99 I wasn't planning on spending, but if it leaks, I'm hosed....Haha

And getting the big plastic ring to start threading took forever, and was a huge pain... I did eventually get it seated though

got it all mounted, and it still seems like it is a little bit off, but I mounted it the best I could, and have tightened it down according to a diagram I found on AutoZone's website.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:41 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

Replaced my grommet today. Part number was 577-500. Easy peasy...

How much gas should I put in it to make it to a safe level so I don't burn it up? I have a 5 gallon gas can, and there is 1 gallon in the tank right now.

I will be driving it to the gas station immediately after to fill it the rest of the way up.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:26 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

3 to 4 gals anyway to get to the gas station.

After that, not a good idea to ever let these tanks get below 1/4 tank.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:18 AM
jimbo74
Veteran

oh, ok... that works..... I figured on putting like 10-15 gals into it and then heading to the gas station

Quick Reply: Need help replacing fuel pump