Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

92 B350 Timing Chain Cover Seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 PM
stevebass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 B350 Timing Chain Cover Seal

I have a small radiator fluid leak on my 1992 D350 (5.2L /318) -- about 1/2 cup occasionally after I turn off the engine. I can see the leak and it's coming from behind the radiator and near the front of the engine.

My mechanic said the timing chain cover seal needs to be replaced. He quoted between $500 and $600 to change the seal.

He also said the water pump was shot, but didn't actually say it was bad.

What's odd is sometimes there's no leak, though after a long trip in warm weather, the radiator was steaming and I lost lots of fluid.

A few questions:

1. Does the price range for the seal replacement sound realistic?
2. Does the leak variation sound as if the water pump may be bad, too?
3. Should I have the timing belt tightened or replaced while it's open?

Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

There is a weep hole under the water pump shaft that likes to leak before anything else. Use a mirror and light to look at the underside of the pump to see if it's green around that hole. If it's green then that is the source of the leak and changing the water pump will fix it.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM
stevebass
Rookie

I found an image of a water pump, but couldn't find any images or youtubes showing the exact location of the water pump on the B350.

I'm guessing it's between the radiator and engine, behind the fan and above what I think is the timing chain cover.

Can you give me a description of where it is?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:58 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by stevebass
Can you give me a description of where it is?
The fan shaft is bolted to it. There is a pulley that is hiding it from easy view.

Here is a drawing that should get you going in the right direction.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:02 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh and just in case you're not sure where the weep hole is I mentioned. Here is a picture of it, obviously with the water pump already removed.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 PM
stevebass
Rookie

Alloro,

I'm pretty sure I found the water pump, but I couldn't find the weep hole from underneath, either using a mirror or crawling under the van. Any ideas?

To the right of the alternator shows what I think is the water pump

Last edited by stevebass; 05-13-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 AM
daguvena88
Professional

Did he tell you the timing cover seal was leaking oil? Are you sure its the timing cover / front crank seal and not the timing cover gasket?

If its the seal (which seals the crank nose) my understanding is it can be pulled out with a seal puller and replaced without removing the timing cover (the harmonic balancer will have to be pulled first) although its easier to punch it out after taking the cover off.

If the gasket is leaking, the cover will have to be removed. In that case, you're pulling off the water pump anyway. I'd consider a number of things to replace at that point like the timing chain set itself, bypass hose, etc.

Here's an overview with a pretty similar layout.

Last edited by daguvena88; 05-14-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by daguvena88
Did he tell you the timing cover seal was leaking oil? Are you sure its the timing cover / front crank seal and not the timing cover gasket?
Unless I'm reading something wrong he said he's leaking 'radiator fluid' (coolant), he didn't say he was leaking oil.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:08 PM
stevebass
Rookie

Originally Posted by alloro
Unless I'm reading something wrong he said he's leaking 'radiator fluid' (coolant), he didn't say he was leaking oil.
Not being a mechanic, I'm working in the dark -- and likely using the wrong words.

Alloro is correct: it's radiator fluid that's leaking. Sometimes it's just a few drops; the other day, after driving all day in the heat, we lots lots of fluid.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 PM
stevebass
Rookie

Originally Posted by daguvena88
If the gasket is leaking, the cover will have to be removed. In that case, you're pulling off the water pump anyway. I'd consider a number of things to replace at that point like the timing chain set itself, bypass hose, etc.
daguvena88: You suggest changing the water pump, and that makes sense. Besides the timing chain and bypass hose, what else oughta be replaced?

What about the oil pump. And is the oil pan removed during the repair?

Quick Reply: 92 B350 Timing Chain Cover Seal