Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

92 B350 Timing Chain Cover Seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:24 PM
daguvena88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Unless I'm reading something wrong he said he's leaking 'radiator fluid' (coolant), he didn't say he was leaking oil.
My initial impression is the mechanic is suggesting a second unrelated issue with the timing cover (coolant issue is waterpump weep/gasket), which in most cases I'd expect an oil leak, expecially if its the seal and not the gasket. After reading it over again, you're right I probably interpreted that wrongly.

stevebass,
I'm hesitant to give you a list of things to replace not knowing the age/condition of the existing components but a lot of parts come off in this process (or are a lot easier to get to) that shouldn't add any substantial labor to replace...

radiator hoses, thermostat, belt, maybe even the tensioner and idler pulleys. I imagine the costs could rack up paying a mechanic but would be pretty cheap and easy enough for me to justify while in there if I were doing it myself.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:00 PM
stevebass
Rookie

I brought the van to a local mechanic for a second opinion. On top of everything, he discovered the upper radiator hose is leaking, which was why we lost so much coolant the other day.

He looked at the water pump and said he's sure that's the problem. His recommendation is to replace all the hoses and water pump (with a Gates brand; $455 P&L)

When the pump's off, he can look at the cover gasket and try to see if it's leaking. Is that realistic?

Most important: There's a 50-50 chance the engine block could be slightly warped and if replaced, the timing cover might not seal properly, and actually make things worse. (He said he's seen this happen.) He also said the timing cover might be warped (cost=$350)

Does it sound like he's right on the potential for warping?

Old 05-14-2014, 04:07 PM
stevebass
Rookie

I'm hesitant to give you a list of things to replace not knowing the age/condition of the existing components but a lot of parts come off in this process (or are a lot easier to get to) that shouldn't add any substantial labor to replace...
It's a 92 and as you'd expect, parts seem to fail with every trip.

The fan clutch was replaced 3 years ago, the radiator recored years ago, and power steering hoses last month. The mechanic said the serpentine belt got wet and needs to be replaced.

He listened to the engine and said there's a "slight misfire," but didn't think there was a problem with the timing chain.

I welcome any advice.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:14 PM
daguvena88
Professional

Originally Posted by stevebass
I brought the van to a local mechanic for a

When the pump's off, he can look at the cover gasket and try to see if it's leaking. Is that realistic?

Does it sound like he's right on the potential for warping?
1. No. The coolant is already drained. A leak dye test is the way to know for sure. Dye is added to your coolant and using a black light while your engine is running, look for leaks.

2. Warping is possible but I personally doubt it.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:21 PM
daguvena88
Professional

Would be wise to do a coolant flush as well. Maybe even back flush the heater core.

Unless there was some noise/chain slap, I'd only do the timing chain if the cover was coming off anyway to address a leak.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM
stevebass
Rookie

Good advice, daguvena88, thnx.

He said a pressure test would show if the cover was leaking, but the killer now is the ruptured upper hose.

And the timing cover gasket is the crap shoot. I'm in for $455 for water pump, hoses, t-stat; another $225 if I did the timing cover. I'd sure hate to have the first job done and then see the cover leaking.

If I take the plunge on re-sealing the cover, I'll have him look at and perhaps replace the chain.

Quick Reply: 92 B350 Timing Chain Cover Seal