Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

OBD II Code Reader Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 PM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD II Code Reader Questions

Having failed my smog test for OBD Readiness, I have some questions about code readers.

From what I have gathered, a reader capable of reading I/M would be able to tell me if each system was ready or not, correct?

Another question I had is this, if I erased a code with the reader, would that also reset the I/M as well?

I am looking at some readers that say this:

•Supports all OBD II protocols and the Controller Area Network (CAN) protocol
•Patented I/M Readiness Key for quick drive cycle verification and state emissions readiness check
•Retrieves generic codes (P0, P2, P3, U0), manufacturer codes (P1, P3, U1) and pending codes
•Resets Check Engine Light (MIL), clears codes and resets monitors
•Displays DTC definitions on the easy-to-read color screen
•Provides Code/Cause/Solution tips for easier troubleshooting
•Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CIN and CVN)

Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

I/M??

Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

From what I have found:

Some states that require I/M inspections are beginning to include OBD II "CARB" Readiness as a prerequisite to an I/M test. OBD Readiness tells an I/M station if the OBD II systems have run their self test.

Owners, in those states that use OBD Readiness, may be denied an I/M test if one or more of the Readiness monitors read "NO" or in other words the OBD II monitors have not run their tests. It is important to understand that the MIL will not be illuminated because OBD Readiness reads "NO". MIL illumination happens when an actual malfunction or failure of a monitored emissions system occurs. It is possible to have MIL illumination for a detected failure while at the same time having a "NO" for an OBD Readiness monitor.

NOTE: MIL ILLUMINATION INDICATES ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS WITH THE VEHICLE. FURTHER DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR WILL BE REQUIRED BEFORE PROCEEDING FURTHER WITH THIS BULLETIN.

OBD Readiness that reads "NO" can be caused by the following: PCM reprogramming, PCM replacement, fault code erasure, battery disconnects and/or replacement. If any of the above items occur before an I/M test, a good chance exists that one or more of the monitors will read "NO" for OBD Readiness.

So, according to that, clearing codes might make one of the OBD self tests to be incomplete and fail.....

Old 05-19-2014, 07:49 PM
daguvena88
Professional

if you're trying to get around a fail by clearing the code/monitors, i don't think you'll have much luck.

You may find this useful if you just want to know if the I/M readiness is OK as a whole (not specific monitors).
http://epa.ohio.gov/portals/27/echeck/docs/Comprehensive_OBD_ReadinessInfo.pdf

Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo74
Some states that require I/M inspections are beginning to include OBD II "CARB" Readiness as a prerequisite to an I/M test. OBD Readiness tells an I/M station if the OBD II systems have run their self test.
In order to avoid a misunderstanding, I was looking find out what YOU were using I/M to abbreviate. I was not looking to be insulted by an Automotive 101 class explanation of what readiness tests are all about.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

alloro, sorry, I didn't mean it to sound that way. I looked that up. I knew it was monitor tests that I needed to figure out. I actually found out about that while trying to explain on here what I was looking for..... I didn't know what I/M meant, I thought it was imaging monitors....

I am going to look into getting a better reader tomorrow....

I am not trying to get it to pass by passing the computer. I need to figure out why it wouldn't and work from there to make sure it doesn't have any issues from there.... The emissions portion passed with flying colors

Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

Quick Reply: OBD II Code Reader Questions