Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

please elaborate on timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:29 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default please elaborate on timing chain

what is a life expectancy of a 5.2l timing chain? and what besides the chain needs to be replaced that has to do with the chain?

I always thought a chain drive was pretty bullet proof...

thx
Roger

please someone, tell me more about the life expectancy of the timing chain?

I like to do preventive on my '01 5.2l, which now has 178K miles...

she is running like a top and when I use her she pulls a 4500# travel trailer hundreds of miles at a time and I don't need a problem on the road when I am doing that...

I put in a new rad, belts and hoses last summer, and did the serpentine belt and water pump about 40,000 miles ago. Plugs, wires and tuneup about 20,000 miles.

so what other than the chain needs to be done?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:01 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The problem isn't as much the chain as the nylon gear on the end of the camshaft. A nylon gear was used because they run much quieter than a steel one does. The downside is that nylon wears faster than steel. In my experience the nylon ones wear out around 125-150K and the steel ones go for at least 250-300K.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to add...

the 2 deg. of advance using the Cloyes gearset was one of the best mods I did

Also the tensioner is plastic too...don't forget to get one of those

also if you are doing the chain, you might as well replace the water pump too

Old 08-06-2015, 03:27 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Dodge, Dodge Magnum V8 engines use steel gears, not nylon. Not sure about the old LA engines pre 1984. If you take yours apart and find nylon coated gears please post this info (with pics if you can) as I'd like to know if this is not true! Mine is still running great so I've not had a look myself.

To specifically answer your question: we *always* replace the timing gears and timing chain as a set and you will need a front cover gasket set + a tube of Permatex blue silicone. This is the perfect opportunity to replace your water pump if you have never replaced it or milage dictates. Generally a quality front cover gasket set will include a water pump gasket but make sure you have one before teardown.

If the front cover bolts pass through water passages they will come out rusty. Remove the rust - or replace them - and coat with silicone before re-installation. DO follow the torque specifications in the Dodge factory manual for best results.

While there are many '74 - '85 engines that will benefit greatly from advancing the cam timing via adjustable timing gear IMO the Dodge 5.2L Magnum is not one. The cam in this motor is hotter than the Magnum 5.9L as it is and advancing the cam timing will only cause the computer to retard your ignition timing because advancing this cam in this engine will cause detonation.

Last edited by blackvan; 08-06-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:15 AM
artman

Can someone recommend a specific timing chain to use as replacement? Is a double roller chain noisey, I ask cause the OEM is called a silent chain. I bought an "SA Gear" timing set from Advanced Auto and it had as much slack as the original with 375,000 miles. I could not find a chain tensioner listed for the 2nd gen ram 1500, are the people that have installed one ordering it from a different year range? Thanks in advance, I'm stalled in my repair of the plenum.

Last edited by artman; 08-07-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:53 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by artman
Can someone recommend a specific timing chain to use as replacement? Is a double roller chain noisey, I ask cause the OEM is called a silent chain. I bought an "SA Gear" timing set from Advanced Auto and it had as much slack as the original with 375,00 miles. I could not find a chain tensioner listed for the 2nd gen ram 1500, are the people that have installed one ordered it from a different year range? Thanks in advance, I'm stalled in my repair of the plenum.

No chain tensioner.

Double roller chain is exactly what you want. If you originally had a nylon coated gear then any steel gear set will make slightly more noise but its nothing significant IMO, can just barely hear the difference personally.

I don't normally use Advance but have purchased some parts from them that worked fine for me in the past. However the lack of slack difference would worry me a bit. I've installed 40+timing belts and chains. Its been my experience that it should fit so tightly you can barely install it while still lining it up with the timing marks.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by blackvan
No chain tensioner.

wow...strange that the 3.9 has one and the 5.2 doesn't -- at least according to RockAuto...

I was impressed with the quality of the Cloyles...also I have had no issues with advancing the timing. Many speed shops go 10 degs. on these engines. ( http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArt...es19932003.php) ...so 2 is pretty much nothing

It really helped this lethargic V6 to get off the line better...with the mods I have done...my GTECH says I am putting 177 to the ground

Last edited by funair02; 08-06-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 PM
artman

Thanks for the responses, I was expecting to have to fight the timing chain on as "Blackvan" stated. I will get the double roller Cloyes set and finish this finally. Thanks again!

Last edited by artman; 08-07-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 PM
artman

Just for the record my truck is a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 with two wheel drive and a 5.2 Liter engine and my timing gears are steel and not nylon coated.http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html sells a chain tensioner -Replaces the thrust plate,designed for all A engines and 3.9L,5.2L and 5.9L magnum engines.
P5007709 Timing chain tensioner $31.95. Anyones thoughts, should I install one just because it fits or is there a reason the factory omitted it for the 5.2?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I have seen these used and when taken apart the timing chain wears into the nylon(or whatever they use for it) anyway. So it may work for a while but it will wear and it will be like not having one anyway. It's up to you if you want the spend the extra money for it.

Quick Reply: please elaborate on timing chain