Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Timing cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Ken Hunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing cover gasket

I'm new here I'm holeshothunter @ gmail Where can I find instructions for how to replace the timing cover gasket on my 1998 B1500 5.2L van. I need to find both parts and instructions. I was told I had to replace the water pump as well, since you couldn't just by the $11 gasket. Uh huh.
I used to be an ME, but I'd like to start with instructions, buy all of the probable parts, and do it.The sucker's only got 130K on it, should have plenty more.
Can anybody help?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Moving to the correct section. Might try videos on you tube if no one has an answer here.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

On the van's, not sure how well hidden it is in there, behind the radiator and such..... But, I think, if you pull the radiator, and shroud, you should have enough room to work.

You can get the gaskets from any local parts store, run about 20 bucks for the set, and comes with a water pump gasket as well.

They will ask if you want the kit with, or without, the repair sleeve for the harmonic balancer, get the one WITHOUT. I have had zero success with those..... they universally annoy me.

While you are RIGHT THERE...... if your van has close to, or over, 100K miles, replace the timing chain and gears as well. Get a good double roller set.

Quick Reply: Timing cover gasket