Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'96 Dodge 2500 van performance options/upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:04 AM
Bronc_twister
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Dodge 2500 van performance options/upgrades...

I bought this last fall outta GA (I live in southwestern MT). The elevation up here can vary greatly but right around here it's about 4200 to 4500. The van had a lil over 63,000 miles when I bought it. I talked to the original owner who had traded it in to a dealer whom then sold it to a private dealer. I've done a fair bit of maintenance on it and replaced quite a few things (most recently the transmission ). It has almost 100,000 miles on it and it runs good but I would like more power and gas mileage from the 318 if possible. I have been almost exclusively running Valvoline MaxLife (synthetic blend) oil in it since about 65,000 miles with a couple changes of full synthetic max life. It started leaking oil out through back of the intake more so I went back to regular max life and it seems to have slowed or stopped. Anyway, I was looking at the Hughes/Edelbrock Air-Gap intake manifold to replace the factory keg intake and maybe a throttle body from a 360, a true double roller timing set, and some later manifolds and maybe custom dual or a single exhaust. I've also thought about maybe a cam. Now some of this would be subject to running some tests (like compression, running compression, vacuum gauge tests), a possible teardown with inspection and such but are any of these ideas worthwhile and actually helpful or would I just be better off to keep the keg intake, buy the Hughes fix deal for the problem prone plenum gasket, a true double roller timing set, and be done or some other variation? I don't wanna spend $600 on an intake and not feel and/or notice much difference in mileage and power. I know the timing set wouldn't be a bad idea but the rest of my ideas I'm not sure.

Last edited by Bronc_twister; 10-21-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:30 AM
a1mfw
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hughes makes a intake and throttle body for the 318. Don't know anyone that has used it thought.

Quick Reply: '96 Dodge 2500 van performance options/upgrades...