Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

To Buy or Not to Buy: 2002 Dodge Phoenix Camper

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Helivated
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Buy or Not to Buy: 2002 Dodge Phoenix Camper

Hello All,
New Member here but have perusing the forum for a little while trying to find info on Dodge Camper vans. The girlfriend and I are taking the plunge and moving into a van to put off real life a little bit longer.

We have discussed many possibilities:
Sprinter/ Promaster (very expensive and build intensive),
VW Van/Bus (not big enough or trustworthy),
Custom Build like Sportsmobile (again way to expensive).

So the other day on the usual Craigslist search I found a 2002 Dodge 3500 Phoenix camper. The post reads: Fully self contained class b camper van. Has rebuilt motor and transmission with under 5k miles per previous owner, have receipts. Runs perfect, needs nothing. Brand new tires (under 1000 miles) and coach battery.

A little more information Ive learned: $10,000 asking price. There is some sort of warranty on the rebuild but not sure what kind and if it transfers owners. It has 212,xxx original miles. Frame and body look solid, very little rust if any. The first test drive we took it on it ended up dying on us and had to be taken to the mechanic for a bad control module?

So my question to the professionals of this forum that know a lot more about these vans than me is, what would you look for or ask about before buying this van? Are there certain areas or parts that should be replaced routinely? Is 212,xxx miles to many on a 2002 to be trustworthy? How long can I expect the rebuilt motor and transmission to last for?

Any input and advice is much appreciated! As this van would be our home for the next foreseeable future I want to try and get as much feedback as possible before pulling the trigger.

Thank You for your Time!

Helivated Adventures in Colorado

Old 10-22-2015, 03:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

What engine and transmission are in it? Got any pictures?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it the van is something like this one?

I would wonder why they are unloading the van after spending so much money on it? I would want to see receipts and confirm exactly what was installed. Are they local warranties or national?

My van is a 1991 with 125k miles and it has its moments. At 212k miles you would want to be somewhat mechanically inclined or the simple things will make you go broke. I would not worry about the mileage as long as it passes a mechanical inspection before you buy it.

The longest I've spent in my Class B is 3 weeks. They are great because you can park anywhere and sleep in it. People don't seem to notice you as you are more or less just a van.

Things to look for are:
  • Water leaks through roof, odd smells, rusty undercarriage
  • Sleeping arrangement that is long enough to sleep flat
  • bathroom privacy from BOTH the cabin AND the sleeping area
  • powered roof vent/fan like a Fantastic Fan with thermostatic control
  • a fridge that works properly (expensive to replace)
  • a propane tank that will pass inspection (no rust)
  • Up to date CO/Smoke alarm
  • Up to date fire extinguisher
  • Cruise control
  • AC in the cabin at the minimum
Nice to have

• AAA, towing is expensive
  • LED replacement of interior light bulbs (cheap, get them off ebay for next to nothing)
  • Indoor/Outdoor 12 Volt thermometer / clock / alarm (cheap, ebay again)
  • Trailer hitch
  • Pure Sine Wave Inverter and solar panel or Generator
  • Flat Screen TV with built-in DVD player
  • Quiet water pump
Stuff I never use in the van
  • Table
  • Seating for 3rd or 4th person
  • Indoor shower (go to a truck stop once in a while, do your laundry at the same time)
  • Toilet for #2
  • Microwave
  • Hard to access storage
Cheers, Steve

Old 10-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Helivated
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

The van is pretty much exactly like the one that SteveR posted. I took it out for a second test drive after the control module and ignition coil was replaced. It ran beautifully. Carried a solid 55 mph up a steep mountain pass and very quiet for what I was expecting. I asked about the engine and transmission warranty which is 3 years or 75,000 miles. Im guessing its most like either/or in which case the warranty would be gone already since the engine was replaced in 2012. Big bummer. But a possible negotiating point on a lower price? The engine is V8 360 but not sure on the company who it came from. I think the name was N-TAC? Are there better companies for rebuilds than others?
The only thing scaring me is the high miles. This owner is getting rid of it because he has three vehicles and just bought a 4x4 Sprinter so has no need for any of the three anymore as the sprinter will turn into his work and play car.

Quick Reply: To Buy or Not to Buy: 2002 Dodge Phoenix Camper