Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Strut Rod Bushings madness...finally think I figured it out..I hope.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:08 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by funair02
Here is some interesting reading from Dodge. The OEM bushings seem a lot better...
According to that page, the redesign appears to have already been done on 1999 and newer models.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:04 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alloro - agreed. My originals were exactly the same as the OEM ones I just put on today...

So we took out the second set of bushings and measured the mounting hole - no issue there.
The blue ones that were in there actually were OK. But, in my opinion they are way too hard riding as I can feel the difference now. That is probably why they keep cracking on me. There is about a 300% ride quality improvement with the OEMs - serious. Also, with me and the family, and a full tank of gas we are approaching 6000Lbs...the plasticized urethanes are just too darn hard for that weight I am thinking. Also, like I said before, the OEMs have strategic steel bushings built into the bushings themselves. If you have a conversion van or use your van for work, I would recommend OEMs guys The were $50 for both sides. Well worth it.

The van is finally happy

Old 03-22-2016, 07:12 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update...

I went on a 300 mile trip today and the softer bushings were much appreciated. Also stopping from high speed seemed more controllable with the OEMs than the plastics...

so far so good

Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 PM
pjw73nh
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funair02,

It looks like you've your share of bushing issues.... I'd like your opinion if you wouldn't mind. I posted this question elsewhere in the forum in another thread I started on a similar subject.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...slow-turn.html

I just found out about the updated bushing kit (with steel sleeve) today.

Here is what I ordered finally.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...%2520%25205.2L

These kits come with 2 concave/convex washers. I think the manual refers to them as "retainers". I have seen a few videos (not specifically for our vans), that show the retainers being installed in four different combinations.

1. Concave in on both front and rear
2.Convex in on both front and rear
3. Convex in on rear and out on front.
4. Concave in on rear and out on front.

Any idea which is the correct way? Manual and diagram is no help. I THINK mine are currently concave in on both front and rear. But the ones under the seat are difficult to see without jacking it up.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Strut Rod Bushings madness...finally think I figured it out..I hope.