Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Strut Rod Bushings madness...finally think I figured it out..I hope.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:36 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Rod Bushings madness...finally think I figured it out..I hope.

Hi fellow vanners!

I think I figured it out...and it seem like it always comes back to -- CRAP PARTS.

Since I have been trying to basically refurbish my van, I have run into so many times now where the aftermarket whatever replacement part isn't engineered correctly.

This is the case with all replacements out there of strut rod bushings. There are basically three out there - black, red and blue - all under different manufactures names and brands. I have now destroyed all three versions with my van in 18 months of time. This has been insane but now I think I finally figured out after really close examination of the OEM strut rods bushings.

Here is what I have been dealing with:

As you can see the middle rips and tears. I have now had all three of the colors do this.

After close examination of the OEMs I have found that they have a steel tube molded into where I have having the ripping problem as shown above. None of the aftermarkets have this built in tube. Also the OEM other one has a plastic disc that is built into the rubber bushing that provides some type of dampening.

Also, if you have any other input, that would help me a lot. Maybe my strut rod is worn out? Maybe the circular frame mount is rounded out? Maybe the ripping condition is a symptom of something greater? I believe my van is really hard on suspension parts as the curb weight is 5000lbs. The aftermarkets probably work well on a stocker, but the tank that I drive, I can see it eating inferior parts. Thoughts???

Anyone have some ideas...it would be greatly appreciated by me

Thank you for reading this.

Last edited by funair02; 03-13-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Have you tried to get those from the dealer? Yeah, I know, they will want an arm and a leg for them, but, you shouldn't have to replace them every four months.....

Old 03-13-2016, 02:49 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have you tried to get those from the dealer? Yeah, I know, they will want an arm and a leg for them, but, you shouldn't have to replace them every four months.....
I'm going to Monday. I am hoping is solves this dilemma.

I am doing everything by the FSM when I do these - torque, procedures etc. - I am getting really good at doing these LOL

What I am worried about is if I have a deeper condition - like a bad mount.

I will try the OEM - definitely.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:10 AM
00S4Boy

Haven't taken one apart personally, but a lot of suspension parts on a lot of vehicle have inner races/sleeves that are transferred from old to new if it isn't a specific wear part, especially on two peice bushings.

Anyway found this kit which includes sleeves even if the bushing quality is marginal, vs probably trying to find nonexistent parts from the dealer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProSteer-Str...-/181911908337

Old 03-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

Polyurethane or polygraphite may be better then oem or aftermarket if it's available for your van.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/

http://www.p-s-t.com/Products_2/Prod...e-reg-Bushings

Old 03-14-2016, 02:58 PM
00S4Boy

I was looking into options for him, but for some reason when it comes to parts the 03 is like a unicorn and nothing has listings, not entirely sure what dodge decided to change. Other things end in 02, and even more end in 97 which is the only actual model change I can find info on. Though overall it didn't seem like much changed from 94-03 on the whole.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 04:04 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 AM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by blackvan
Advance part # DW-K7090

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-again-2.html

2.5 years later, still no problems.
forgot about that thread! Thanks

Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 PM
funair02
All Star

Update...

I talked to an old friend that is a Master Tech and he said I may have an issue with the strut rod mount being 'ovaled out' or the strut rod is bent.

Maybe it isn't the bushings if this is the case. The right side after speaking to him does seem to be suspect.

Does anyone know what size the strut rod hole should be?

Ill be checking this out soon. I will add that the bushing sounds and feels like they are toast again and probably ripped like the pic I have above.

Wonderful...now off to my welder to see what he thinks...crazy.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:20 AM
funair02
All Star

So I will find out today if the hole is ovaled...after taking the rear bushing out, we are thinking it is OK...

Here is some interesting reading from Dodge. The OEM bushings seem a lot better...

Quick Reply: Strut Rod Bushings madness...finally think I figured it out..I hope.