Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fusible Links 1988 B250 Van

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:36 PM
mickedeville
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fusible Links 1988 B250 Van

Hello!

I was messing around with the wiring to install a remotecontrol C-lock Unit for my 1988 b250 van , and something went wrong with the wiring while working with it, And now my Headlights and Power door locks is out of function!

I have checked fuses beside the glovebox, and they seem to be fine.

I Think i have blown one/or some of the fusible links behind the Brake Booster?

Looks like one of these fusible links feeds the powerdoor and headlight switch circuit

Have anyone changed some of these fusible links behind the Brake booster on the firewall?

Its almost inpossible to reach them beacuse the booster is right in front of the harness, any suggestions?

Best regards // Mike

Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Headlights are on a circuit breaker not sure if the door locks are the same. You need a schematic to confirm the location of the fusible link but I thought it was not far from the battery and not on the firewall, someone else on the forum will know where the link is located.

I melted the fusible link on my 1981 Dodge and when the link melted there was NO power to anything.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a C-lock?

Last edited by iodj44; 03-19-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:07 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mickedeville
I Think i have blown one/or some of the fusible links behind the Brake Booster?

Looks like one of these fusible links feeds the powerdoor and headlight switch circuit

Its almost inpossible to reach them beacuse the booster is right in front of the harness, any suggestions?
Remove the booster and repair the fusible link.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:56 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Well Alloro confirmed the location of the link, shouldn't be to bad a job.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:01 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Check out the 2 images in this post. One shows the bundle of fusible links and the other shows a burnt link.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ml#post2774987

Old 03-25-2016, 05:50 AM
mickedeville
Amateur

OK!

This is what i have done so far troubleshooting my headlightswitch and power door lock issues!!

1. I Have checked all the fuses in the glovebox

2. I have tested all the wires with fusible links behind the brakebooster and have contiuinty before and after the link

3. I have tested the fusible links around the battery

4. I have +12V on all terminals on the Circuit Breaker on the steering-collumn EXCEPT for the yellow wire.

Im not 100% sure, but if im right, the yellow wire from the circuit-breaker is feeding the "Diagnostic connector" ?

Pls help me with suggestions troubleshooting the power door locks and headlight switch

Old 03-25-2016, 06:48 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Your headlight light issue may be dash switch related.

I know from experience van dash switches can over heat and fail after adding addition exterior lights or a trailer was connected happened to me late one evening leaving me stuck on the side of the turnpike with only parking lights. Though I have not heard of a switch failing on vans built before the early 90s you can still check by easily removing the switch and if it has overheated it should be discolored or melted.

Door locks other than checking the wires for breaks or shorted sections and the fuse I have no info to add.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:58 AM
mickedeville
Amateur

Originally Posted by iodj44
Your headlight light issue may be dash switch related.

I know from experience van dash switches can over heat and fail after adding addition exterior lights or a trailer was connected happened to me late one evening leaving me stuck on the side of the turnpike with only parking lights. Though I have not heard of a switch failing on vans built before the early 90s you can still check by easily removing the switch and if it has overheated it should be discolored or melted.

Door locks other than checking the wires for breaks or shorted sections and the fuse I have no info to add.
I will check the headlight switch for any melted spots etc , i use a trailer almost everytime i use the car to transport my dirtbike, maybe the lightproblem has something to do with that.. but the strange thing is that both these issues appeared at the same time :/ not funny at all !

Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Yes I agree it would be odd for both issues to arise at the same time and not be related.

Unfortunately other than the dash switch, head light circuit breaker or a possible short in the headlight wiring, I can not add much more to the discussion.

Quick Reply: Fusible Links 1988 B250 Van