Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Intermittent no spark condition.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:07 AM
IcantDo55
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent no spark condition.

*** MODS PLEASE DELETE OTHER THREAD, I had issues posting from my phone.***

V6
Auto

Had van for a few years. The other day it stalled in a parking lot in a right turn and restarted no issue. Than 1/4 mile later at a light it stalled and would not restart. I noticed I was below E and figured it was out of gas. Got some gas and still wont start. I checked for fuel at schrader valve and there was fuel and checked spark and there was none. I made some calls and waited for a ride and in 15 minutes I tried again and it started and ran for 3 miles. Parked it turned it off and 30 minutes later no start again.

Today I'm back to try and diagnose it. Turned key and it fires up fine reved and sounded normal. Ran for 15 minutes and fuel pressure was steady 48psi. Than while idling it died and fuel pressure still at 48psi. I dont think its a fuel issue. I probed wires to the crank position sensor I see ground and 5V but no signal.

Think I'm on to something. Can this be the crank position sensor be and intermittent issue? Anything else I should check?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by IcantDo55
Can this be the crank position sensor be and intermittent issue?
I had a similar issue where mine would run for a bit and shut down. I let it sit for a few minutes and it would start up and run for a bit then shut down again. For me it did turn out to be the crank sensor.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 AM
TheDarkFox
Rookie

I had a similar problem and replaced my everything. Every single part that can cause this failure. All of it.

Turned out to be bad grounds in my case. Get the sandpaper out. Even if this part cures your ailment, scuff all your grounds. Every one of them. Trust me. Its worth the 2 hours of time.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:40 AM
a1mfw
Rookie

Could be coil or bad ignition wires also.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:43 AM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by alloro
I had a similar issue where mine would run for a bit and shut down. I let it sit for a few minutes and it would start up and run for a bit then shut down again. For me it did turn out to be the crank sensor.
x2...

Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 AM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Back to drawing board. Changed the crank position sensor today and it started right up ran for 5 minutes and than shut off. Started for a minute shut off than would not start. No spark.

Next idea?

Old 04-14-2016, 04:26 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank Position Sensor Output

Since you already replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor, this won't be helpful, but tuck it away for the next time.

The sensor output is normally pulses that switch between zero and +5 volts.

If you are checking it with a voltmeter while the engine is running, you will see an average in millivolts, because of the narrow width of the pulses and the low number of pulses for each revolution of the crankshaft.

However, if you are checking the sensor output with a voltmeter with the engine NOT running, but with the key on, you will see either zero OR +5 volts with nothing turning or cranking. To see the sensor output signal change now, just turn the crankshaft by hand slowly. The windows that the sensor detects are fairly narrow. The sensor is working if you see the voltage level change from zero to +5 volts, or +5 volts to zero. JUST DO NOT CRANK IT WHILE YOU ARE DOING THIS MANUAL TURNING OF THE CRANKSHAFT!!! IT WILL HURT!!!

Old 04-14-2016, 12:44 PM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Thoughts........?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:01 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Start

Are there any error codes? Is the PCM turning the ASD relay on? Try swapping it with one of the other relays. You have fuel pressure, is there spark? Are the injectors being turned on? Have you looked at or cleaned the ignition pickup in the distributor?
Because:
PCM turns the ASD relay on, which sends 12 volts to the PCM, Ignition Coil, Fuel Injectors, and O2 Sensors.
Then the PCM, to simplify it, after it gets signals from the crankshaft and camshaft (ignition pickup) sensors, fires the ignition coil for spark, and the fuel injectors.
Of course, this is the way it's supposed to be in a perfect world. Have you been able to trace voltages, grounds, and wiring? I'll try to help looking up wiring, or whatever I can for you.
The problem with mine is a very intermittent crank-no-start, impossible to troubleshoot unless it ain't crankin'.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM
IcantDo55
Amateur

CLIFF NOTES

No codes.
Normal display on ODO does not say "No Bus"
Fuel pressure steady at 48psi
No 12v to coil
Replaced Coil and Crank Position sensor.

Remember this is and intermittent issue, yesterday it ran great for 10 minutes before it abruptly died (spark cut out not fuel) and would not restart. Cranks all day but no start.

Should I feel the ASD relay click when key goes to on position?

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
Are there any error codes? Is the PCM turning the ASD relay on? Try swapping it with one of the other relays. You have fuel pressure, is there spark? Are the injectors being turned on? Have you looked at or cleaned the ignition pickup in the distributor?
Because:
PCM turns the ASD relay on, which sends 12 volts to the PCM, Ignition Coil, Fuel Injectors, and O2 Sensors.
Then the PCM, to simplify it, after it gets signals from the crankshaft and camshaft (ignition pickup) sensors, fires the ignition coil for spark, and the fuel injectors.
Of course, this is the way it's supposed to be in a perfect world. Have you been able to trace voltages, grounds, and wiring? I'll try to help looking up wiring, or whatever I can for you.
The problem with mine is a very intermittent crank-no-start, impossible to troubleshoot unless it ain't crankin'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent no spark condition.