Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Wiring harness question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 12:54 AM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsdata
What year is your van? I have had an '85 that I had for almost 250,000 before it rusted out in 2000. And I had a '94 that I put 225,000 on and it was still running strong before I rear-ended a truck in a sheeting rain storm and bent the frame in 2003. Both vans held up well in all those years. My current van is an '01 and with 195,000 the complicated electronics/sensors/PCM are now giving me an issue.

The instrument cluster is easily taken out to replace the CEL bulb if you are so inclined...
Our Van is a 1995 and I will look in my book on how to pull out the instrument cluster and change the bulbs. I am sure there is more than one or two burned out.

Funair2, that is the problem with buying a used van is you have no idea what has been done to her?? I am hoping that everything works out, but if not I am preparing another route.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:22 AM
Doc Joe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funair02
no offense to anyone

but you all know timing chains, lifters, camshafts, valves and other things like that usually wear out at 150-200k miles and the PCM will not know these are broken. The PCM tries to compensate and throws everything out of whack. Then you chase problems that aren't really there.

A burnt valve and a flakey PCM did cause me to experience a lot of weird problems when I first bought my van...just food for thought
Hello Funair02,

I have a question about everything you listed above. Is there a way to tell if the timing chain is worn out without removing the cover?? I was thinking on the way home tonight, that I could remove a valve cover and turn the motor over to TDC. Turn it over will I see the exhaust rocker move, then turn the crank backwards and note the amount it moves. I am guessing a good timing set should have very little slack while a worn out set would move a lot?? Thoughts???

Thanks Doc.

Quick Reply: Wiring harness question??