Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Possessed Work Van

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 PM
David DeBord
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possessed Work Van

Greetings Ya'll,

I own a used 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 cargo van (149,336 miles).

I went to do the "right thing" & install new plugs (each properly gapped), & wires, rotor button & distributor cap, as well as use a a bottle of "Seafoam" Gas treatment in the gas tank.

Immediately the Van became "Possessed" & began exhibiting a wide range of symptoms, which HAD NOT HAPPENED prior to my trying to do Th' Right Thing:

It began hesitating during idle, as well as low range driving.

It would "surge" hi & then low during idle, & low range driving 20 to 35 MPH.

At times a "Whooshing" noise could be heard (with the cowl removed) as it was "surging" Hi & Low.

At low range driving it occasionally would back fire.

I've used carburetor cleaner on the throttle body (Without taking it apart), & initially the problems on a 7 mile road test "disappeared", but the next day, when I had a Service Call to run, the Van began exhibiting the same problems.

I thought that possibly I had a Vacuum leak, & used an unlit propane torch around the hoses, as the motor was running, yet the motor didn't surge from the gas.

I've started the motor in complete darkness, & looked for obvious "arcing", & found none.

I did find a bad connector on the battery, & I replaced it, hoping that somehow a faulty connection could be part of the problem, yet when I road tested it, I t started losing power, which could only be brought up, by applying / releasing the gas pedal, .... Worse yet, up to 45 MPH, the motor acted a couple of times as if it were "Locking up", & it back fired more than ever. When I got out of the 45MPH speed zone, & gave it the gas, it ran fine, until I slowed down to pull in the driveway. With the Van parked, I could Rev it up in Drive, (Brake on),& it would not hesitate, nor back fire. I then put it in Reverse, (brake on),& did the same thing, & nothing happened.

I've been going through the Haney's Book for this Van, but the "Diagnostics" seems to be very broad, & from one horizon to the other.

I''ve run several Service Calls with my wife's new car, & she is not happy about it, fellas, ...before she "skins me alive" I've got to get my van running.

Have Ya'll got any suggestions/ tips, ... Or should I contact a Priest & have the local fire department bring a tanker & hose th' van down with Holy Water? Jus' kidding

Any Help would be Greatly Appreciated.

I just remembered, ... I'm not getting any Trouble codes at all.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 PM
a1mfw
Rookie

Sounds like the IAC idle air control valve which connects to the throttle body. Could try pulling it out and cleaning it.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:52 PM
David DeBord
Rookie
Default Possessed Work Van

Thanks for replying a1mfw, Is the Haynes book accurate about the Dodge motor? I'm asking this cuz' I did some Major work on her Dodge Stratus a few years back, & I'd get along with the repair, only to get to the point where it offered several choices of what to do, & the Haynes book speaks of the TPS, & other parts in the same manner. Are there any voltage tests/ Ohms, etc. that I could also ck on this Sensor?

Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 PM
a1mfw
Rookie

IAC seems to be a common problem on these van's. Hopefully another member will chime in about doing diagnostic test's and how to use the manual. I am not familiar with either.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 AM
funair02
All Star

Did you get a new tank of gas?

If that Seafoam was on the shelf for a long time, it could have gone bad.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

excellant write up on HOW to clean IAC

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM
David DeBord
Rookie

Originally Posted by funair02
Did you get a new tank of gas?

If that Seafoam was on the shelf for a long time, it could have gone bad.
I agree Funair, but, ... I got it at Advanced Auto, & it was a bottle on the shelf set to the front.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:14 AM
David DeBord
Rookie

Originally Posted by rsdata
excellant write up on HOW to clean IAC

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html
rsdata, Thank you Sir! I've got to "borrow" my wife's car again & run some errands, & when I get back, I'll dig in to that article. ^5's

Old 09-24-2016, 10:45 AM
David DeBord
Rookie

Rsdata, I've clicked on that link several times & all that I'm getting is an icon that is similiar to a rapidly spinning clock.
I checked my Java Security Software, & all that I have "blocked" is programs like Twitter, Facebook etc.
I started reading the 9 pages on that link, & I noticed that one guy also couldn't see it, yet everybody else did.
Has the link been taken down, or am I doing something wrong with the link?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 AM
David DeBord
Rookie

Rsdata,

I just got to the last page, apparently it's not something that I've done:

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyourking
Is there anyway to get a these pictures re-uploaded?

This original thread I started with the pixs no longer works showing the pix after the forum upgrade.

I did upload this How To Clean The IAC on two other Dodge forums. One of them is the Allpar site under the forums. I can't list the other since it competes with this one.

Also, if anyone has a rusty pintle IAC, just replace it. It's not worth having the rust re-appear and stick the idle closed. You will be stranded in no time.
71 Duster 340, 74 T&C 440-Interceptor, 74 Duster /6 225, 76 Aspen /6 225, 79 Volare S/6 225, 81 Pacer I6 258, 88 Colt I4, 85 Caravan 2.6L, 94 Caravan 3.0L, 96 Caravan 3.3L, 00 Ram Van B1500 3.9L, 01 Ram Van B2500 5.2L, 05 Caravan SXT 3.8L, 03 Ram 2500 5.7L HEMI"

I also asked Stev, if it were possible to get a link to the site that he mentioned.

Quick Reply: Possessed Work Van