Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

B3500 5.2L Roadtrek 190 RV Idle/CEL

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Dorfnair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up B3500 5.2L Roadtrek 190 RV Idle/CEL

My 1997 Dodge Roadtrek RV with 133,000 miles on 5.2 engine is idling +/- 1000RPM and the check engine light came on. One scan left the mechanic scratching his head, stating, "Let's turn the CEL off and see what happens . . . . . "
Besides look for a new mechanic, thoughts or recommendations? Research tells me 5-600 RPM is the norm.

THANKS!

Old 12-24-2016, 09:28 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

rough idling is caused by a dirty IAC valve... search on this forum... there is a sticky on how to clean it... even if you don't have rough idle, it might be a good thing to get in there and clean it anyway... not a difficult job... also possibly a throttle position sensor...

if you get codes coming up( CEL) light again then go to Advance Auto or any auto parts store and have them read the codes for you and post them on here

Old 12-24-2016, 09:39 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rsdata
rough idling is caused by a dirty IAC valve... search on this forum... there is a sticky on how to clean it...
FYI...The images are gone from that post and I don't think it's a sticky.
But here's the link to the post anyways. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 12-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Dorfnair
Default CEL/Idle

Thanks guys. The idle is not sporadic, hot or cold it purrs about 1000rpm, as does the engine at speed, with no fluctuations. That said, I will still look into cleaning or replacing the IAC.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:57 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Dorfnair
Thanks guys. The idle is not sporadic, hot or cold it purrs about 1000rpm
You have a large vacuum leak.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Dorfnair

THANK YOU. I am inclined to agree. Any suggestions as to where to start the search?!?!?

Hope your Christmas day surpasses your expectations :-)

Old 12-26-2016, 01:10 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

There is a metal plate that bolts to the bottom of the intake. The seal around the plate has been know to give out when the plate warps (designed too thin). The test is to Remove the PVC valve, plug it's hose and also plug the hose in the valve cover. Then remove the dipstick and connect a vacuum gauge there. Run the engine and see if you get vacuum at the dipstick. You should see a few PSI of pressure building due to ring blow-by, so if you get vacuum it means the plate is leaking and the intake has to come off.