Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

use old brake pads or put on the new one's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:17 PM
Someday69
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default use old brake pads or put on the new one's?

Ok, so I'm changing the front bearings on my 97 b2500. I got new rotors from O'Reilly's, yet with the ten dollar caliper from harbor freight, and two quarters I got a reading of 35.4. the min. thickness on the back of the rotor says 29.3...
So I thought hey that's great I'll just use the old rotor it's not warped. The only problem is I forgot to subtract the difference of the two quarters..Which I just thought of when writing this...So let me see what the quarters come to...
Well the quarters come to 3.3- So I'm still well within min. thickness..
Tomorrow I'll do the other side. And now that I've done one the other will be easyer..
Oh- Yea.. The Pads were still very thick, lots of meat on them still. Yet they looked like they have some crack's from old age.
I'm going to use them and keep the new one's for future use..
Do you think I should toss the old cracked pads?
I'm going to flush the brake fluid, when I used my dollar store turkey baster to pull the fluid from the reservoir it looked darker than it should. So I'll flushing it out with new tomorrow..thanks for reading my post. Everything with this van is new to me. I want to do the cleaning of the throttle body, and Idle air control valve. And
I don't think I have any Plenum issues - Next I need to flush the trany..and fix my no speedometer problem..I put in a new rear abs sensor..yet that didn't fix it..I'll get another speed sensor that goes into the outside of the trany. And that means I've got to get serious about that 1/4'' square socket to adjust the band inside the trany. And the one outside is going to be really hard to get to, with all the exhaust and line's and wire's..and Well it's one of those things I'd like to have an expert do....someday..

Old 01-29-2017, 01:29 AM
iodj44
Veteran

someday69

Want to give my opinion on a few things, if you're rotors are within spec and not grooved or warped replacing them is your call but cracked brake pads should be replaced.

If you're brakes work fine I personally would not "flush" the system and while we are talking about flushing regarding transmissions many people who have had their automatic trans flushed developed trans problems shortly after. Now changing the trans fluid and filter is a great idea just not a power flush.

Last edited by iodj44; 01-31-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:35 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Someday69
Oh- Yea.. The Pads were still very thick, lots of meat on them still. Yet they looked like they have some cracks from old age. I'm going to use them and keep the new one's for future use.
I agree with iodj44 100%, replace the cracked pads. This is a sign of overheating which breaks down the strength of the glue holding them to the backing plate. In a panic stop situation the pads could literally blow apart and disintegrate on you.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Someday69
Rookie

thanks I'll do what you say...