Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Bleeding 2000 "2500" Cargo Van brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM
David DeBord
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding 2000 "2500" Cargo Van brakes

I may have created a Huge Problem on top of all of the other problems I've run in to, by trying to "Exorcise th' Demons" out of My Work Van.

I already paid a shop almost $900.00 to have New brakes & a ball joint put on the Van. I do know that they replaced front calipers/ pads & ball joint because I was there.

But! I "THOUGHT" that they had performed the work on the rear brakes as agreed upon.

I test drove the Van around the shop, (in town, around the block, at approx. 25MPH), & it did seem to be running better. But, within about 4 days of combined Highway/ City & Country driving several problems arose.

To make the story short, a Mechanic that I had "Trusted", did not do all of the work that I thought that he did, & that the situation has rapidly deteriorated from there, & I've lost a great deal of work (HVAC/ Electrical/ Refrigeration), because of not being able to use my Van.

I Finally got all of the "Right" parts (One Ton) for my Dana 60/ 12" brakes, but!, .......... During the repairs, I had Stupidly attempted to "plug" an open brake line, till I could get the proper Wheel Cylinder. (All of the Auto Parts Shops kept giving me parts for 3/4 ton brakes). Anyway, the Master Cylinder >>>drained itself<<<. .

I refilled the Master Cylinder, as well as put on all of the Brake parts that the Dodge Dealership told me to get. I then took a cleaned out bottle with lid & drilled a hole in it for vinyl tubing that I connected to the new bleeder screws & yes, I immersed the end of the tube in the bottle in about 3" of clean Brake Fluid.
I then by gravity bleeding, & at times by depressing the brake pedal thought that I had bled all of the air out of each Wheel Cylinder, & Yes, I made sure that the Reservoir remained full, although I did leave the cap off. While I was doing this, I was also listening to the Van Radio, with the key on.
Where I was beginning to feel like a kid, getting up on Xmas morning, when I started the Van, not only do I not have Brakes, but the "Brake Light", & "ABS Light" are now on. WTH!!!

From gleaning data from "Th' Net" it now appears that I have to use a Scan tool to clear the "Comb., Front, & Rear valves" of air????

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't gravity bleeding the entire sysytem, with occasional Brake Pedal engaging also work?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 PM
iodj44
Veteran

The ABS system complicates the bleeding process but you would still have brakes. The brake pedal may be soft but you would still have the ability to stop.

If I was in your shoes I would tow your van to a brake shop, with all the parts recently replaced the cost should not be to harsh to diagnose the problem and the plus side is you will be able to stop the van.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:24 AM
David DeBord
Rookie

iodj44,

Thanks for replying.

"you would still have brakes" ...... "you will be able to stop the van."

In a roundabout way, are you saying that I'd have brakes but not be able to stop the Van?

"If" You were "in my shoes", .... You'd be here in the Forum, asking the same question.

If I could whisk $$$$$ out of the thin air, like Big Brother, I'd have it towed to somewhere that was "reputable", & have them work on it. But Hey! Life's kinda been a Big Struggle lately.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:32 AM
iodj44
Veteran

I was joking a little bit but being serious you would feel badly if you hurt yourself or someone else if you could not stop quickly because of faulty brakes. To be honest something does not sound right if you have fluid AND air in the system pumping the brake the van should stop.

You did say you currently after bleeding the system no brakes? Again since you have replaced most of the brake components the bill at a brake shop should not be that much.

I reread your first post and have a question how did the master cylinder drain itself, in other words how exactly did the fluid exit the system.

Can you get someone to help (pump the brake) you and bleed the system again, I can not remember what problems the abs may cause regarding bleeding I do recall reading about it. In the past. I have bled the brakes on two B3500 with abs and had no problems.

This forum is a great source of info and you get to talk to some good folks also I never would write anything nasty in a post maybe I have strange sense of humor. None the less good luck solving the problem.

Last edited by iodj44; 01-26-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:28 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did you bleed all four brake lines? running cylinder dry means all brake lines have air in them...

Old 01-26-2017, 03:16 PM
David DeBord
Rookie

iodj44, I'm out in th' country. Not in th' city. I would "Test Drive" my Van, before getting in to traffic. Of course, something is wrong. Things have been wrong for quite some time, & yet after a great deal of Research, & PRAYER, those Problems are being Overcome, one by one. As far as the "Shops"? My Problems with my van, & many more problems, have pretty much Dried up the Piggy Bank. I Can't Print $$$$ Like the Fed does. Re-read my O.P., iod, cuz' you keep repeating yourself, when the Answers are found in what I posted. Tis' Good, that you've had very few Problems in your Walk, .... My Life is vastly different. As far as The Forum? Yes Indeed, ...... It is a Great source of Data.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:19 PM
David DeBord
Rookie

Rsdata, Greetings Bro! Indeed, but, ..... I'm going to go back to it, & get the Wheels back on it, & then move the Van out of the mud, & do the process over again.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:22 PM
David DeBord
Rookie

A Question that I have is .... If the Reservoir "Gravity Drained" itself, thereby allowing air in to the Comb./ Front & Rear Valves, then how is it "Not Possible" for New Brake fluid to not "Gravity Force" the air out of those Valves?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:34 PM
iodj44
Veteran

David Debord

Fair enough but please allow me to agree with rsdata, I would bleed the system again with someone pumping the brakes while your at the wheel cylinders or calipers. On that note I will not not make any more comments on this thread. Best of luck.

Last edited by iodj44; 01-26-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

You can't gravity bleed ABS brakes once the lines have been drained because air will get trapped in the valve. You have to pressure bleed them or power bleed them. The ABS light is on because the brake light is on. The brake light is on because there is a pressure imbalance between the front and rear brake systems. You do not need to open the ABS valves with a scan tool in order to bleed the brakes. If the brake light doesn't go off after bleeding the brakes see if there is a button on the end of the proportioning valve and press it in.