Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Repair manual vs shop manual vs cd-rom

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repair manual vs shop manual vs cd-rom

I was looking for the ole haynes or chilton repair manuals for '99 ram van 1500 and noticed a site offering the shop manual, shop manual supplement and the shop manual cd-rom. Just wondering if anyone with experience knows the difference between between the manuals and which one is best to get?

I've only ever used the chiltons or haynes.

Thx.

Also, anyone know where i can get an online manual (pdf) and the book at a cheap price? I saw rock auto has the books for like 15 which is pretty decent.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 AM
sparkzz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check EBAY for your printed manuals. Sometimes they're cheap.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Have used both and was impartial to Chilton manuals but overtime Haynes has grown on me. Though if I were doing a complete bare block rebuild would prefer Chilton. I think Amazon has great prices and pretty fast, cheap shipping.

Should you get the cd -rom maybe bring it to a print shop to make you a paper copy you can have next to you while working on the van. Not sure if it is legal but you could sell professional printed copies on ebay or Amazon but that may be a copyright violation.

Last edited by iodj44; 04-09-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:33 PM
MarkofCain
Rookie

For my money, I always try to get my hands on the Dealer's Factory Service Manual for the specific year and model. Then search online for the Dodge Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for your vehicle. Here's a manual listed on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Dodge-R...&soutkn=QN8I01

Old 04-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Factory manual is the only one to get, Way more in it.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

dont fool with chilton or haynes----get the factory manual

Old 04-15-2017, 11:58 AM
iodj44
Veteran

The tide seems too be against me, I have never had the opportunity to review one (factory shop manual) before a repair. I
can only believe it would have more information and be more through than a Hayes or Chilton manual.

Sometimes in the Hayes or Chilton manuals they will say take the van to or consult a authorized dealer, ie don't attempt the repair yourself. if I recall years past it was when working on a charged A/C system and I think specific internal auto trans repair (when really special/expensive tools are needed) they would not even discribe the procedure, I did find that annoying.

That being said I have had pretty good luck with the non factory manuals, well anyways best of luck
and have a great day.

Last edited by iodj44; 04-18-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all. I just ordered the chiltons manual but I'll pick up the fsm too. Thanks for all the info. I never thought to check the service bulletins. Thanks again.