Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Diagnose my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:32 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest putting the van in Neutral for a bit before going through the gears and back into neutral. My van has a big transmission cooler and it drains back into the sump after every use...I need to let the van sit in neutral for 5-10 seconds before it can refill the cooler and get things working properly. Dodge not having the transmission pumping fluid while in park is rather foolish.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:48 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree somewhat with both SteveR and rsdata, warming up in neutral and getting the trans fluid pumping is a good idea. Also as rsdata suggested you should have service done and get fresh atf+4 and new filter in your transmission if you're not sure... for sure!

If hesitant on knowledge doing it yourself, then find a reputable transmission shop in your area (other than jiffy lube or the like) and have test driven and work done

As Mooparite suggested, you can adjust the kick down cable (TV/Throttle Valve Cable) by searching that adjustment. It's easy unless yours happens to be stretched or is problematic for some reason.

The other exterior adjustment you can do is the front band, helps smooth out the 1-2 shift but if you have the service done at a shop they should make those adjustments as part of the service, just make sure you let them know you expect this to be done as well as the 3-4 bands inside.

A pro that knows dodge will know if there's a problem with wiring harness/ switches or solenoid. Ask and have them explain what is foundso you can know...

Old 05-23-2017, 05:14 AM
saltwatersurf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

I took the van to a local mechanic that I trust and requested a full flush using ATF+4. He called and said he only swapped the filter for a new one and topped up the fluid after that because he found fingernail clipping sized brass shavings in the pan. He showed me a picture on his phone when I got there. Seemed like he thought I should drive it until it goes bad and then he suggested getting a Jasper re manufactured transmission.
He did say it shifted hard but that was a good thing and he wished his cars all shifted as well as my van. I'm sure he didn't experience the problem that occurs going uphill...not downshifting properly.
I can't afford $3500 for that tranny which stinks because I just finished a 4 month long interior camper style renovation!

Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

too bad you are in Oregon... I know where a junked 2001 reman Jasper tranny sits with only 35K on it.

45 RFE I believe is the OEM part #

I got mine installed about 3+ years ago for $2400 plus the cost of a new rad w integrated tranny cooler. I live in KY.

The van is junked w electrical/engine running problems... tranny is good.