Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

B250 non starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:15 PM
frankhargreaves923@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B250 non starter

Hi, My name is Frank and I live in the UK. A friend has asked me to look at his Dodge Camper Van as it will not start. It is a 1989 Dodge B250 California Camper Van with the 5.2 liter engine. I came across your site and wondered if you could help.

The problem seems to be as follows, The engine turns over ok on the starter but there is no spark, the ASD relay operates for a couple of seconds, puts power to the fuel pump and the ignition coil, then goes off.
When i crank the engine there is still no power from the ASD relay at the coil, the coil is ok. My question is, are there any other sensors that prevent the ASD from putting power to the coil after the initial supply from the ignition switch. I have read on the site that there is no crankshaft sensor fitted on this vehicle, is this correct? Would the distributor be at fault?

I did bypass the ASD relay and there was power at the coil, fuel pump and ditributor but still no spark from the top of the coil.

Hope someone could help, many thanks for looking.

Frank

Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a ignition pickup coil located in the distributor cap under the rotor worth looking at as cause to your no start.

here's a link to read that seems related and may help

http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...fter-2-months/

Old 05-22-2017, 03:32 PM
frankhargreaves923@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks JFloors, will have a look.