Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1973 Dodge B300 - Rear Axle Swap - Tradesman vs Maxivan?...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:28 PM
boogerthevan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 Dodge B300 - Rear Axle Swap - Tradesman vs Maxivan?...

Hi all,

If anyone can help me here, I'd be forever indebted. I have a 1973 Dodge B300 Tradesman Maxivan that was converted into a camper. On a trip recently, the bearings failed and stripped the whole hub. I need an entire new rear axle assembly. I found one in a yard in a '73 Tradesman, but it's not the Maxivan. I'm trying to figure out if it should work and fit.

To my knowledge, the only difference between the Tradesman Maxivan and the Tradesman was that the Maxivan had 18 inches of additional length aft of the rear axle.

Should a rear axle from a 73 Tradesman work and fit in mine, even though the body is 18 inches longer?

Photos of the van are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...HdpaDRZc18wX1E

THANK YOU!!

Old 09-08-2017, 02:34 PM
tjkoko
Professional

You need to compare the specs from the official factory service manuals for each vehicle, available from FAXON and other suppliers of older factory service manuals. Do yourself a favor, get them.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:09 PM
boogerthevan

Thanks! That's a good tip and luckily, I actually do have the Service Manual, the Operator's Manual, and the Chilton's Repair & Tune-Up Guide. Unfortunately, they haven't been super helpful. The only thing I've found on the rear axels in terms of specs on them is here (a photo I took from the Service Manual): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2k...ew?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, the wrecking yard that has the Tradesman part has struggled a little with identifying which it is.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM
tjkoko
Professional

Usually there's a little metal tag affixed to the structure otherwise take a look either at the door post or a label fixed either to the firewall or the underside of the hood for additional specs. Do you possess the actual FSM, factory service manual which should measure about three inches thick????

Old 09-08-2017, 03:27 PM
boogerthevan

Yes, if this is the one you mean: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...UxwXzVUdGphZnc

It's pretty hefty.

Again, appreciate ALL the help! It's been a journey trying to get this thing repaired.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:40 PM
tjkoko
Professional

Probably a real transmission or rear-end place could assist. I don't know that maxivans would have a beefier or otherwise different differential.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Which axle do you have under your van? I would suspect that the different axles vary due to load rating of the van.....

Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 350 Likes on 330 Posts

As in the link you posted look at the cover on the rear, This will tell you what it is.

I would imagine it has dana(not sure witch) but you can find out by looking at this...

Dana(spicer) axles where used in all kinds of vehicles so keep in mind the spring perch(A) and wheel flange(C) may be different that yours depending on what it came from.