Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

While driving 2000 Dodge Ram Van 5.2L (318) V8 lose power/stall and then engine catch

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Slowsneakers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While driving 2000 Dodge Ram Van 5.2L (318) V8 lose power/stall and then engine catch

Hi All,
I have a Roadtrek Camper Van 2000 Dodge Ram Van 5.2L (318) V8 and while driving usually at street speeds (not highway) I will suddenly loose exceleration then the it is like it catches and starts up again. Sometimes I have heard a clunking/banging noise. Sounds almost like when you turn the wheels to much to one side (if this makes sense). No engine lights or codes come on.
I took it to Dodge and they were not able to find anything wrong with it. They said they were not able to replicate what I indicated was happen. At first I would drive it stop somewhere then drive then stop somewhere for a few minutes then when I would get in and drive it I would experience the loss of power while driving. I think it happens more often now.
I asked if they could hook something up to the engine so I could drive around for a few days so maybe it would record the issue they said they cant so I bought a INNOVA and recorded some live data.
I think by looking up some of the information I think it may have something to do with the fuel/oxygen levels.
I was think that it maybe related to the fuel oxygen levels because when I ran live data it seems to develop negative fuel trim levels if I am reading the information right-at the time it loses power. I am not a mechanic just read a bit on fuel trim.
"NEGATIVE (-) fuel trim values mean the engine computer is subtracting fuel (decreasing the pulse width or on-time of the fuel injectors) to reduce the amount of fuel injected into the engine. This is done to LEAN out the fuel mixture to compensate for what it perceives as a rich running condition"Remember, all this is based on what the oxygen sensors are telling the engine computer. If the O2 sensors indicate LEAN, the computer adds fuel and generates a POSITIVE fuel trim value. If the O2 sensors are reading RICH, the computer compensates by subtracting fuel and generates a NEGATIVE fuel trim value. (http://www.aa1car.com/library/what_is_fuel_trim.htm).
Anyone else have this issue?

Old 08-25-2017, 06:59 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My boss drives a 2000, 3500, 5.9, 135k miles, passenger van.
Yesterday he stopped for fuel and when he started it up it sputtered and died, then would crank over but wouldn't start up at all. Before the stop and that morning the check engine light had come on.
He said that the past few days while driving that sometimes it would feel like riding the brail in the center lane only it was lots of brail but he wasn't, it was the engine sputtering/misfiring then would clear up.
he called for help so I brought a code reader and some hand tools since he was far from home and not carrying his usual tools, I was closest that could help him.

The code we read was for the pick up coil, bank 1 etc. ect. ( forget the actual P0... number darn it ) So we pulled the distributor cap and looked for sure like could use a new cap and rotor, the pick up coil looked well worn too, missing one of it screw mount eyelets and also looked like it had been moving around a little bit inside there.
We got the parts and installed and it fired right up and running well now.

Reason for this long description is if you haven't done a tune up for a while you might check the cap and rotor and the pick up sensor (which controls how the fuel injectors fire) and could be beginning to fail, causing the engine to cut out.

Hopefully the info helps you out but would be easier if the dern van would just throw the code out for you huh?

good luck, let us know how it goes

Old 08-26-2017, 07:38 AM
tjkoko
Professional

Originally Posted by JFloors

Reason for this long description is if you haven't done a tune up for a while you might check the cap and rotor and the pick up sensor (which controls how the fuel injectors fire) and could be beginning to fail, causing the engine to cut out.............
Where is the pick up sensor located???? Is this an aka for the crank shaft position sensor?

Old 08-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Slowsneakers, Are you aware of the plenum issue with the engines of that era? You are right in the middle of when they start to go(mileage wise). If it's not bad now it will be later. The FIX...
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091

Where is the pick up sensor located???? Is this an aka for the crank shaft position sensor?
Pick up coil or cam sensor is in the distributor, Crank sensor is located below the rear passenger head.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Slowsneakers

Moparite.
I know absolutely nothing about mechanics. I just thought I would look into to what was going on since I didn't get anywhere with Dodge. I will read the link you sent. I thought it might be a sensor or something simple. The previous owners that had it last summer had no issues.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Slowsneakers

Jfloors,
MIne doesn't have any issues at all with starting. No lights ever come on. If I am driving highway speeds doent seem to have the issue thank goodness. As I indicated to Moparite I know nothing about mechanics was just trying to figure it out as Dodge counte. It just had a oil change etc at the same time they tried to figure out the issue but found nothing. I will check into the stuff you said.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowsneakers
Jfloors,
MIne doesn't have any issues at all with starting. No lights ever come on.
I understand, my bosses van was giving the signs of failure as I tried to describe and also didn't have start issues either until that day and left him stranded.
Won't hurt to pull and check the cap and rotor and pick up coil (for excessive wear, crud/corrosion on contacts, cracks, etc) since they are all right under the cap and it's an easy thing to check/replace yourself.
If your van does end up getting to the point of engine running well then suddenly dying coming to a stop or at low speeds and will crank but not start right away but will after a few minutes, it's very likely the crank sensor, just fyi
As moparite said, the crank sensor is on the passenger side right where the transmission housing meets to the head, easy to see and get at in our vans with the motor cover off

Old 08-27-2017, 03:23 PM
tjkoko
Professional

Be advised, in searching around Dodge forumss including this one, here are a few things I've uncovered and I probably would have never thought about one or two of them:
  1. Crank position sensor: affects the ignition timing;
  2. Cam position sensor, located inside of the distributor: affects the fuel injection and its pulse width including outright fuel delivery;
  3. Intake manifold and PLENUM: sometimes the plenum rots;
  4. Fuel pressure regulator.
Just my $ .02 and I'm just a shade tree mechanic, if at all. And some of my Snap-On's date to the 1930s.

I used uppercase letters for emphasis and in no way am I shouting at anyone here.

Best,
-T

Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 PM
anlake2
Amateur

My 99 ram van 1500 5.2 has been doing similar. Driving after maybe 20 minutes it will stall. at first it would catch and then after more time it would stall. It is just like turning the key off.. I can wait a few minutes turn the key on if the gauges move and it starts. I am to the point now to find a CPM. After having a friend run a diagnostic. trying to find a refurbished one now Not much luck so far

Old 08-28-2017, 11:02 PM
anlake2
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
Slowsneakers, Are you aware of the plenum issue with the engines of that era? You are right in the middle of when they start to go(mileage wise). If it's not bad now it will be later. The FIX...
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091

Pick up coil or cam sensor is in the distributor, Crank sensor is located below the rear passenger head.
I tried all this and the ignition, which I haven't done yet. Replaced the coil and crank sensor :{