Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Off-grid power

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Gojira
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-grid power

Having zero previous RV experience/knowledge, I've pretty much worn out the internet looking at off-grid power systems for my van. Since my electrical needs (for the time being anyway) are very low, I'm leaning toward a single "leisure" battery, using a split charging system with a simple isolator/disconnect switch for when I'm driving, and a solar panel & charge controller to keep it charged while stationary. Cost & simplicity are my main concerns, and I'd like to keep it all 12 volt. I'm curious, though...seems like the split charging system is more popular across the pond than it is in the States. Most of the parts & kits come from the UK. I'm open to all tips, criticisms, personal experience & knowledge you guys can throw my way.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

What kind of loads are you looking at, and what sort of duration are you going to need?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Gojira

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What kind of loads are you looking at, and what sort of duration are you going to need?
So far, only a 12v Coleman Powerchill coolbox, 4.8 amps, and cell/tablet chargers, 1.5 & 2.1 amps. I'll eventually install an on-demand water pump and LED lighting.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Couple large batteries, and a battery isolator should take care of that for ya.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Gojira

I'm looking at a 105ah deep-cycle and maybe a 6-slot fuse box...that should take care of the few things I'm planning on now. A 20-gallon water tank should hold me over for a couple of weeks, too.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:05 PM
oldpar
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Hey You.
In my van I use 1 deep cycle and one starting battery.An isolator and 1, 2, all switch can be picked up at any marine supply store.
We also have a travel trailer that we use 2 deep cycle 150ah, we run on demand water pump, lights, heater fan or cooling fan with ac off depending on season and watch a movie every night on a 110v lcd tv I think 23 inch with an inverter from Frys electronics. Then recharge the batteries during the day with a very quiet camping generator, disturbs fewer campers that way.

look here for all you will need to know
http://marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Last edited by oldpar; 12-19-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:56 PM
LedZep

A long, excellent article here (almost a Master's thesis)
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

I can see oldpar's point, but I think Gojira is trying to be 100% solar, without a generator.

A summary of the above article is
- Use qty 2 6 volt Trojan golf cart batteries (this may be overkill for Gojira)
- Use short runs of very low gauge (large diameter) wire
- Absolutely no shade on your solar panels from any other accessory

Brian

Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM
oldpar
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of travel trailers and motorhomes that use 100% solar, not sure enough roof space on a van to use power and fully recharge batteries.
Then there are cloudy days and forest camping obscuring panels lowering efficiency.
I thought about solar for myself, but then we do winter camping and I thought if I needed the generator even as backup why bother with the cost and maintenance of solar.

Would be great though !