Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Help for other hard starters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:08 PM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help for other hard starters

My 2001 3500 takes like 5 seconds to start after turning the key. Like others here that I have read it is the check valve not preventing fuel back flow when the key is turned off.
i found a way to cut it down to a second or so. When you start up don't turn the key all the way forward when it's in the final start up position. You have to hold it by hand as it doesn't "rest" in this position and if you turned it just a little further the starter would kick in. It seems the fuel pump fires up in this spot so I leave the key there about 10 seconds, pump the peddle a few times and turn the key the rest of the way to engage the starter. It's still a small inconvenience but at least I'm not running the starter.
Has anyone had any luck installing a check valve in the fuel line near the tank?
Thanks

Old 03-17-2018, 09:49 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Just turn the key from Off to On for 2 seconds, then Off again. Do this twice then on the 3rd time start the engine. The fuel pump turns on for only 2 seconds with each key turn, so doing this gives you 6 seconds of fuel pump priming which is usually enough to sufficiently pressurize the system.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:06 PM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Just turn the key from Off to On for 2 seconds, then Off again. Do this twice then on the 3rd time start the engine. The fuel pump turns on for only 2 seconds with each key turn, so doing this gives you 6 seconds of fuel pump priming which is usually enough to sufficiently pressurize the system.
that explains my somewhat erratic results. I originally tried leaving in on position for 10 seconds or so and didn't realize until your response I was only getting about 2 seconds of priming.
im still going to try splicing in a check valve.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Help for other hard starters