Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Smelling antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Ramvanman96
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smelling antifreeze

Seems after running the van then parking it, I smell antifreeze as I walk in front of my van. It's not real strong but noticeable. It has a new radiator three years ago along with a thermostat. The van runs great with no leaking anywhere, over heating or coolant loss in the radiator. How is this possible? Is there something I should look for? It's a '96 with the 5.2, 318.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:34 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Could be a minuscule drip allowing coolant onto the engine where it evaporates.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:13 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Or a pinhole leak in a hose.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:30 PM
Ramvanman96
Amateur

Thanks guys! I'll have to start looking/investigating a little closer to see what I can find..

Old 04-19-2018, 08:17 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was same a couple years ago after changing the thermostat and housing, upper hose too. I had clamped the hose tight at both ends knowing it's a hassle to go back and have a leak at the housing but with a few heat cycles it began to have a small leak. I think the pressure buildup loosened it enough to allow coolant to pool up after shut down around the thermostat housing. Take a flashlight and inspect in that area, (I know, not much room to see) to see if that may be where the leak might be...
I had set the clamps so could get to it just pulling the alternator aside. I ended up doing that, re-tightening the clamp and adding another one, same for at the radiator as it had developed just some slight wetness around that connection there.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Ramvanman96
Amateur
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JFloors
Mine was same a couple years ago after changing the thermostat and housing, upper hose too. I had clamped the hose tight at both ends knowing it's a hassle to go back and have a leak at the housing but with a few heat cycles it began to have a small leak. I think the pressure buildup loosened it enough to allow coolant to pool up after shut down around the thermostat housing. Take a flashlight and inspect in that area, (I know, not much room to see) to see if that may be where the leak might be...
I had set the clamps so could get to it just pulling the alternator aside. I ended up doing that, re-tightening the clamp and adding another one, same for at the radiator as it had developed just some slight wetness around that connection there.
JFloors, Thank you for explaining and helping out. This weekend I'll pop the hood as well as the inside cover to get a direct look at the engine to see what I can find. It sounds like you may be right as I have no leaks underneath the van. There has to be a small pool/leak on the engine somewhere.. I should have everything replaced as it's pretty old and due. Two years ago my mechanic said everything looked great. Since the thermo, housing and hoses are fairly cheap I should probably go ahead and replace them. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Smelling antifreeze