Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Hard start ..... please read for details

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Cannavan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start ..... please read for details

okay , 2003 1500 van with the 5.2 .....

issues have been very small random misfire , bad mpg , hard to start, and power loss on highway ... so far I have replaced plugs , wires , distributor cap / rotor , Ignition switch , crank sensor , belt and tensioner, air filter , and today I had the fuel pump assembly replaced.

The van still cranks longer than I am used to before it turns over... is this normal to a point for the vehicle ? Check engine code code is back on already, probably for another random misfire. I haven't taken the van on highway yet but she seemed to pick up better on side roads after fuel pump... i thought the fuel pump would fix the hard start totally.... any ideas guys and girls? Thanks

Last edited by Cannavan; 04-12-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you considered the ECM is bad?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Cannavan

Originally Posted by alloro
Have you considered the ECM is bad?
is that a common issue with these vehicles ? Inhave considered it , but hadn't love not address it yet. Hopefully that is one I can easily do myself. How can I test the ECM ?

Old 04-13-2018, 10:32 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an article that looks like it describes somewhat closely to what you say the symptoms are for your van, except for the hard cold start ... Might be helpful
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...el-injectors-1

You might try running some good fuel system /injector cleaner through and see if that doesn't help some. Gumout, Techron, Seafoam etc...

As for the PCM question, yes, they do seem to be a fairly common failure reading through the forums. mine is a 99, owned it since new. PCM was replaced in 2004, though it had 240k on it back then also. Never a problem with it since then though and now has 304k on her now.
Not qualified in testing one but couldn't hurt to disconnect battery and unplug the 3 harness connectors to inspect. I used some CRC electrical spray to help clean out, let dry a few minutes, then smear a little DI-electric grease on the harness connector end before plugging back in. Did this back in 2012.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Cannavan

Originally Posted by JFloors
Here's an article that looks like it describes somewhat closely to what you say the symptoms are for your van, except for the hard cold start ... Might be helpful
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...el-injectors-1

You might try running some good fuel system /injector cleaner through and see if that doesn't help some. Gumout, Techron, Seafoam etc...

As for the PCM question, yes, they do seem to be a fairly common failure reading through the forums. mine is a 99, owned it since new. PCM was replaced in 2004, though it had 240k on it back then also. Never a problem with it since then though and now has 304k on her now.
Not qualified in testing one but couldn't hurt to disconnect battery and unplug the 3 harness connectors to inspect. I used some CRC electrical spray to help clean out, let dry a few minutes, then smear a little DI-electric grease on the harness connector end before plugging back in. Did this back in 2012.
thanks for the response... I will be testing my injectors next. I don't think it is my ECM because the symptoms are so small.

Long cranks before firing during cold starts , power loss , mpg could be better , small misfires at idle / when coming to a stop. ...... makes me think fuel system... fuel pump assembly was just replaced .... anyone had issues with their fuel filter ? Where is the fuel filter located?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

What code are you getting now?

Fuel filter is integral to the fuel pump module. So, not precisely a 'maintenance' item.

Do you have the kegger intake manifold on that? If so, have you checked to see if the gasket has blown? (two piece intake)

How old are your O2 sensors? Done a compression test??

Old 04-20-2018, 02:16 PM
Cannavan

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What code are you getting now?

Fuel filter is integral to the fuel pump module. So, not precisely a 'maintenance' item.

Do you have the kegger intake manifold on that? If so, have you checked to see if the gasket has blown? (two piece intake)

How old are your O2 sensors? Done a compression test??
Yes i do have that intake i believe (big round metal intake) , i have not checked the manifold gaskets , no idea how old the o2 sensors are ... mechanic said compression was good ...

how much work work is involved in replacing manifold gaskets ?

Old 04-20-2018, 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gotta pull the intake...... The gasket in question is on the bottom...... So, a good weekend worth of work.

Might be a good idea to replace the O2 sensor(s) as well.....

Take a look down your throttle body, and see if you have oil pooling in there.....

Old 04-20-2018, 07:20 PM
Cannavan

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Gotta pull the intake...... The gasket in question is on the bottom...... So, a good weekend worth of work.

Might be a good idea to replace the O2 sensor(s) as well.....

Take a look down your throttle body, and see if you have oil pooling in there.....
if I have oil showing up in my throttle body that would point towards rings going / being bad?

Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope, points toward blown plenum gasket. If you are concerned about rings, a dry/wet compression test, or cylinder leakdown test will tell the tale.

Quick Reply: Hard start ..... please read for details