Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 04:15 PM
FFP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater problem

1997 Dodge ram 1500 van V6 3.9L
Heater motor and fan work normally. BUT air is only blowing through top dashboard openings to windshield.
Problem is no air blowing towards driver & passenger.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:54 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good place to start is checking any and all the vacuum lines from the passenger side of the intake and follow them to where they lead to... usually there is some sort of plastic or "Y" type connector and a small vacuum check valve at the side of intake. From there there may be to or 3 lines that split off different directions, one or 2 going into the firewall, and another headed toward the passenger side toward the reservoir behind the passengerside headlight and over toward the underside of the battery. Any of the sections of line or rubber eblows and such may be deteriorated but look good, give them a little extra bending to check, (sometimes the old line will easily just snap in two) have some new rubber line to fit over the existing to replace sections if needed.
The check valve at the side of the intake where these vacuum lines begin, seems to be a common failure and according to a few threads I've read, sometimes will fix the problem by replacing it.

There's lots of threads to read for some info and direction if you search for "Wild vents" in the search bar, I've also had my own problems in the recent past with 20 year old vacuum lines giving out.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:23 PM
FFP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you JF.
Hopefully, I'l have time to look into it this week, and report back with a progress update.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:17 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem, hopefully it will be an easy find and fix for you.
Another thing I was thinking is to check that the (I don't know the actual name) vent door actuator is opening properly.
Think it's vacuum operated but also has an electrical harness and plug to it, located behind the glovebox. Mine's a '99 and thinking yours shouldn't be too much different, but could also be wrong on that. Slowly changing the temp setting from full cold to hot/full hot to cold you should see and hear the door open or close as well as see the actuator arm switching position. Not hard to take a look to see what you might find there...

good luck

Quick Reply: Heater problem