Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Van misfiring... Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Bent Redger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van misfiring... Need help

I recently bought a 1993 Dodge Ram 250 Van (318)
with about 200,000 km's on it. Everything works really well in it but once I get it over 90km/hr it has a slight engine stutter. Like it's mis-firing. Accelerates fine & decelerates fine but when I level off and cruise at 100km/hr or so I get a stutter in the engine. I've replaced the plugs and wires thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. The van had sat for a couple years so I filled it with premium fuel & put some fuel conditioner & injector cleaner in it also. Any other advise on what else I can look at to fix the problem? I've put about 500kms on it since I bought it and seems to be ok. More annoying than anything... Would just like to get it running properly.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The fuel pump could be failing and is not able to deliver the higher rate of fuel needed at the higher speed. Does it also lose power going up hills?

Old 08-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Bent Redger

Originally Posted by alloro
The fuel pump could be failing and is not able to deliver the higher rate of fuel needed at the higher speed. Does it also lose power going up hills?
If anything, the stutter happens when I slightly let off the throttle when going down hills. If I'm putting the pedal to the floor and accelerating, it seems to run better/doesn't miss.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Either a vacuum leak, (intake plenum gasket?) or maybe a marginal crank sensor.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:49 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bent Redger
If anything, the stutter happens when I slightly let off the throttle when going down hills. If I'm putting the pedal to the floor and accelerating, it seems to run better/doesn't miss.
That symptom is a sign of dirty injectors. Taking your foot off the gas closes them down to the point where fuel doesn't flow.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:05 PM
neilmck

He Bent: Neil from Calgary here. Here is my problem. sounds like yours:

I have a 1989 B250 Van with 318 motor, no AC. On recent trips it has suddenly started running very rough, then it clears itself. On the most recent trip it ran fine forn1.5 hours, bobbled a few times, then ran fine again until the 3 hour mark. Then it really ran rough for a while. It feels like a misfire or lack of fuel. But then if clears and runs fine. I have recently replaced the spark plugs, coil, spark plug wires. Hall Effect Sensor replaced a couple of years go. Check Engine codes are 12 (disconnected the battery a few weeks ago), 26 and 33. Anyone got any suggestions?

Did replacing or cleaning the fuel injectors help?

Quick Reply: Van misfiring... Need help