Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1989 Ram Van, working stereo but no sound!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:35 PM
TheSwedishDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Ram Van, working stereo but no sound!

Soo, as the headline say, I have an 89 B250, that I just installed an aftermarket stereo to. Everything is connected according to 5 different pages that all say the same thing about the wiring colors. The stereo works, but there is no sound. I've read about the amplifiers not getting power, but I connected the "power antenna" cable to 12v and still no sound. (The power antenna cable apparently powered the amp/s)

There has been an aftermarket stereo in it before but it was removed and now I'm standing here with no sound after installing a new one, quite disturbing! Anyone else has a tip or had the same problem?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The power antenna on the radio is a power source, it doesn't need 12 volts to it. You hook the wire that controls the amp to the power antenna on the radio.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

If you connected a 12V power source (antenna lead) to a 12V power source, you probably blew something in the head unit.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:15 PM
TheSwedishDodge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The power antenna on the radio is a power source, it doesn't need 12 volts to it. You hook the wire that controls the amp to the power antenna on the radio.
This is what I've done, must have written wrong on my first post. I connected the amp power cable to the power antenna cable on the stereo!

Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I wonder if the head unit turns off the antenna if you are not playing the radio?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 PM
TheSwedishDodge

I wonder if the head unit turns off the antenna if you are not playing the radio?
I actually had it on AUX mode and used my voltmeter to see if it gave out power to the amp cable, and it did.. so the amps are getting 12v.. I'm thinking if the head unit is blown.. guess the only way to know is to see if the stereo from my other car works..

If it did happen to be the amplifier/s itself, would you know where to find it? If I need to replace it, I mean.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not on the vans. Dodge couldn't make up their minds where to put them..... on some years, the amps were actually on the speakers, later years, it moved around inside the cabin......

Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 AM
TheSwedishDodge

Not on the vans. Dodge couldn't make up their minds where to put them..... on some years, the amps were actually on the speakers, later years, it moved around inside the cabin......
Damnit

Well, just gotta' try changing stereo first, after that just start looking after the amps! Thankyou!

Quick Reply: 1989 Ram Van, working stereo but no sound!