Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge ram B350 VAN. suddenly died, will not start back up. PLEASE READ ALL INFO

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:57 AM
Brando224
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Dodge ram B350 VAN. suddenly died, will not start back up. PLEASE READ ALL INFO

1993 DODGE RAM B350 VAN
driving home today and my van suddenly shuts down with no warning. lost all power.
I pulled it over to the nearest spot i could and there it sits as I'm typing this post.
So after pulling over, i tried turning the key as normal to start it, i noticed first, i lost all dash lights that normally come on when i turn the key...
SECONDLY, when turning the key all the way as if I'm starting the van up like normal, i get a very feint buzz or electrical click... nor will it even attempt to spin my starter.
so next i get under the van where the starter is and i bypass the ignition by jump starting the STARTER with a screwdriver... ONLY THEN it will turn... and when it turns, it is turning multiple times as if it is getting max power like normally should.. (but is unaffected by turning key to start..)
EVEN when jump starting the Starter the engine will not fire up.
SO ! i replaced the key ignition switch.
Still no dash lights(which is normally the check engine light comes on, as well as a battery light and maybe one or 2 more) also no power to starter. ( a fan normally kicks on which its also not kicking on.)
My key tumbler is good.
my battery is good.
my distributor and coils are good as well. new wires and coil recently installed.( still doesn't explain no dash lightss or power to starter)
Heard something about an auto shutdown relay which could kill power to all of those things I'm having an issue with? Going to parts store tomorrow to replace it. i seen it is 2 relays mounted on one bracket to the frame. one is ASR and the other is a Fuel pump i believe.
Also heard it may be the main Computer underneath the hood has gone bad..
What do you think is my issue?
Ill be back to let you know if the ASR relays fix my problem.

Last edited by Brando224; 09-10-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: forgot ssome info
Old 09-09-2018, 10:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

What year is your van, and what motor?

Old 09-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Brando224

The van is a 1993 dodge ram b350 5.9L V8

Old 09-09-2018, 02:31 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

clean all grounds especially the grounds to the cluster

Old 09-09-2018, 02:31 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

clean all grounds to the cluster

Old 09-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Brando224

My grounds are securely connected, and tight, they dont look dirty or corroded. what would you recommend I clean it with? a wire brush and some alcohol?

Old 09-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Brando224

Originally Posted by Brando224
driving home today and my van suddenly shuts down with no warning. lost all power.
I pulled it over to the nearest spot i could and there it sits as I'm typing this post.
So after pulling over, i tried turning the key as normal to start it, i noticed first, i lost all dash lights that normally come on when i turn the key...
SECONDLY, when turning the key all the way as if I'm starting the van up like normal, i get a very feint buzz or electrical click... nor will it even attempt to spin my starter.
so next i get under the van where the starter is and i bypass the ignition by jump starting the STARTER with a screwdriver... ONLY THEN it will turn... and when it turns, it is turning multiple times as if it is getting max power like normally should.. (but is unaffected by turning key to start..)
EVEN when jump starting the Starter the engine will not fire up.
SO ! i replaced the key ignition switch.
Still no dash lights(which is normally the check engine light comes on, as well as a battery light and maybe one or 2 more) also no power to starter. ( a fan normally kicks on which its also not kicking on.)
My key tumbler is good.
my battery is good.
my distributor and coils are good as well. new wires and coil recently installed.( still doesn't explain no dash lightss or power to starter)
Heard something about an auto shutdown relay which could kill power to all of those things I'm having an issue with? Going to parts store tomorrow to replace it. i seen it is 2 relays mounted on one bracket to the frame. one is ASR and the other is a Fuel pump i believe.
Also heard it may be the main Computer underneath the hood has gone bad..
What do you think is my issue?
Ill be back to let you know if the ASR relays fix my problem.
Bought new ASR and still no power. tried warming up computer with heat gun, still no power.
nothing is bringing me power. would a bad ground prevent my coils from sparking, plus be the reason why my dash lights aren't coming on?

Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Brando224

just cleaned all grounds with wire brush rotary drill tip. got a nice smooth shiny surface on everything, cleaned battery terminals, still hasnt fixed the problem.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:18 PM
ramvan61
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your MAP sensor.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Brando224

Looked up MAP sensor, says its normally for fuel injected vehicles. where would it be on my corroborated model.

Quick Reply: Dodge ram B350 VAN. suddenly died, will not start back up. PLEASE READ ALL INFO