Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

46re

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 04:25 PM
thevan2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re

Hi all, it has been a while since I was on here. I did do a search and the closest I have found was "limp mode" but not sure it applies.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram van, 318. It has about 108k miles. One day my check engine light came on (as it has every time the weather gets cold). This time instead of just the P0442 (evap leak, which turned out to be a bad gas cap)….. I also gotten P1281. I drove it for about a week, 400 miles. No problems. One afternoon, I get in, drive it for about 10 minutes, and the transmission started acting up. Mind you, before this, I never had any issues. So…. To rule out the check engine lights, I replaced the thermostat, gas cap, and replaced an upper radiator hose. Started the van, all codes were fine, no CEL. Got in, drove it for ¼ mile, and the transmission acted up. No CEL. From there I let it cool. Ran it, it changes gears fine, while cold, for about 5 minutes. But happens again. The transmission feels like it is a manual with the clutch pressed down most of the way. It whines (doesn’t jerk). The tranny fluid is normal color and not burnt. Anyways, I brought it to a shop, they want $3200 for a new trans. (3 year warranty). The transmission shop I brought it was reliable, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head that it is perfect, to almost non existent when it warms up. I cannot afford a new one. I do realize I can get one from a junk yard and install for cheaper. That is not my concern as much. I was more curious if anyone else had this. Could it be a sensor, relay, PCM, etc. ? (46re)

Old 10-23-2018, 08:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

You could try swapping the governor stuff first. Pressure transducer and solenoid. (and a fluid and filter change, maybe band adjustment while you are in there?) Certainly a LOT cheaper than a new trans. Chances are good, that would solve your issue.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:50 PM
thevan2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thnak you

Thank you so much! I will slowly try these things... Much appreciated. Fingers crossed, it works!!!

Quick Reply: 46re