Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Code 37 After Replacing Dual TCC/OD Solenoid on 36RH 94' Van Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:57 PM
Tanner Stell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 37 After Replacing Dual TCC/OD Solenoid on 36RH 94' Van Wagon

Hello guys,

I've got a 1994 Dodge B250 Ram Wagon 36RH that is getting a code 37 TCC Solenoid or Temp Sensor (Codes for 94-97 Rams: http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm). Only in the first 2 minutes or so of driving the van, a slight bump occurs when coming to a stop or pressing on gas; it must be the torque converter slipping or maybe the tranny fluid is lower(Not entirely sure if tranny fluid would set it off)?. I replaced the solenoid, but still am getting code 37(after unplugging my battery for a couple of hours since I don't have a OBD1 scanner) and it still slips. Since it is a dual TCC/OD solenoid, I tested both voltages for each solenoid from my wiring harness in my vehicle and found that there is a difference in 0.3~V and the voltage is under 12V at 11.6-11.9V. I also tested the resistance between both solenoids and they are the same resistance(not sure what the resistance was exactly). I replaced all of the blown/corroded fuses and patched exposed wires under the vehicle.

The old solenoids hardly moved or made a sound when testing them with my spare battery at 12.6V. I also don't hear a click on the new ones(while in the transmission pan) when power was sent to them. One mention is that I did short the red, black, and white solenoid wires when I first installed it because the accumulator housing crushed it. Now I'm using the old solenoid wires.

https://www.rockauto.com/info/925/52...arge__ra_p.jpg
I did my best to inspect the wiring/connectors, and it seems like everything is in good condition. Im not sure where to proceed next lol. Where does the solenoid connect to? I tried to peak in wiring harness leading to computer, but couldn't find any signs of harm.
I did notice that there are two wires coming from this solenoid that were exposed and read 12V. Im not quite sure what it is (the lower one, not the TCC one above it). I've got a reasonable suspicion to believe that it is the transmission temp sensor. It's on the driver's side of the transmission pan below the TCC solenoid connector. https://postimg.cc/Xpk3gxvy

Ultimately, I'd like to fix this code 37. I'm new to mechanical/electrical work, but am wanting to learn more as well. Thanks.

Last edited by Tanner Stell; 10-28-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Isn't that a 46RH?

Think I would be inspecting the wiring, if changing the solenoid didn't make a difference. Look at the wiring right at the connector on the trans, they sometimes like to pull out of the connector, and leave exposed wire there.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Tanner Stell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Isn't that a 46RH?

Think I would be inspecting the wiring, if changing the solenoid didn't make a difference. Look at the wiring right at the connector on the trans, they sometimes like to pull out of the connector, and leave exposed wire there.
Thanks for the reply. It seems like all of the wiring and connectors under the vehicle are in good condition(including TCC Solenoid). However, I do not know where the solenoid wires coming from the vehicle connect to, nor inspected them. I've noticed some people mentioned that it may connect to the PCM or TCM. Does the TCC solenoid ground to the transmission in the pan? I'm wondering if when I installed the new one(since it pinched the after market solenoid connector), it shorted the solenoid and damaged it. There was an orange wire that looked like it went into the ECU that completely melted in half. I ended up resoldering and applied electrical tape to it. It seems fine now, but I am lost when it comes to the cause for this 37 code. The slippage only occurs in the first 2 minutes of running the vehicle at cruising speed. Afterwards, it runs and shifts perfectly even when coming to a stop in cruising speeds.

I did notice that there are two wires coming from this solenoid that were exposed and read 12V. Im not quite sure what it is (the lower one, not the TCC one above it). Ive got a reasonable suspicion to believe that it is the transmission temp sensor. https://postimg.cc/Xpk3gxvy.

Last edited by Tanner Stell; 11-01-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

On the trucks, the temp sensor was external to the trans. There was a fitting on the cooler line at the front of the trans, that the sensor would screw into. It was also an option.... I think it came with the various heavy duty packages. (tow, plow, etc.)

According to what I am finding, TCC is single wire, Dark Blue with White trace. Wire runs to a six pin connector up by the battery. (don't know what other wires on on that connector.....)

Quick Reply: Code 37 After Replacing Dual TCC/OD Solenoid on 36RH 94' Van Wagon