Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

PCM compatibility between '97 and '99?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:57 PM
DJFRY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow PCM compatibility between '97 and '99?

Hi, I'm new to the forum -- thanks in advance for your help. The 5.9L v8 engine in my 1997 B3500 seized three months ago and I'm now neck deep in swapping the seized engine out and replacing it with a 5.9L v8 out of a '99 Ram 3500 van. Can I use the PCM from the '97 with the newer engine, or do I need to get a different PCM? The three connectors do seem to fit, but I'm not sure that's conclusive evidence the '97 computer is compatible with the '99 engine. Anybody know offhand? Thank you!

Old 12-09-2018, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The only difference in the two engines is the number of coolant temp sensors. The 97 has 2, the 99 only has one. Best solution would be to swap the intake manifold to the 'new' motor. Then everything hooks right up, and works just fine. Fix the plenum gasket while the intake is off.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:00 PM
DJFRY

Thank you for this info! Would keeping the PCM from the 97 connected to the 99 engine prevent spark? I currently have no spark to the ignition coil and am trying to track down the cause.

Also would it not not be easier to get the 99-compatible PCM and hook that up rather than going through removing and replacing the intake manifold? Is there a reason not to do this? Thanks so much!

Old 12-10-2018, 01:43 PM
DJFRY

Think I just answered part of my question... looks like an ECM for this specific engine would be $1000 from the dealer or $500 rebuilt. Looks like I’ll be replacing my intake manifold. Any suggestions or pointers before I begin?

Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM
ramvan61
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the second generation Ram truck section it has a great Sticky about the plenum change which requires that you remove the intake.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:37 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJFRY
Thank you for this info! Would keeping the PCM from the 97 connected to the 99 engine prevent spark? I currently have no spark to the ignition coil and am trying to track down the cause.

Also would it not not be easier to get the 99-compatible PCM and hook that up rather than going through removing and replacing the intake manifold? Is there a reason not to do this? Thanks so much!
For the spark problem, are you sure the crank sensor and or wiring didn't get damaged during engine swap? Also is it connected tight? One guy a while back had a no spark after replacing his crank sensor. After a rechecking had found the harness plug was not all the way snapped in, got spark n fired up fine after snapping it in. That plug can be a tough lil bugger to get apart as well as clicking it together.
That plenum thread in 2nd gen trucks IS good and reccomend reading as well as watch the video on the procedure, probably worth taking the time to do it now rather than later unless your name is Jim(me) and procrastinate on other folks good advise, lol

good luck, hope it's just something simple or overlooked

Last edited by JFloors; 12-10-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: PCM compatibility between '97 and '99?