Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Power Steering stiff when turning to passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 06:52 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering stiff when turning to passenger side

Last fall I put in a Red Head steering box and I've found that the steering is now hard to turn to the right. When you turn full lock to the left you can get the steering pump to squeak but when full lock to the right it doesn't seem to have nearly as much pressure and won't squeak. The reason for changing the steering box was that it had a lot of free play but it may have had this issue to some extent before changing the box (I didn't notice it but I thought something funny was going on with the steering the last couple times driving it before the swap).

The only thing I can say about the new steering box is that it has shaft side play. It's a bit unnerving to see actually. Anyway, is this steering stiffness in only one direction common with power steering pump problems or would it be a problem with the steering box?

Cheers, Steve

Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

If it was doing it before the change, likely a pump problem. If it wasn't, I would warranty swap the box. Give that the box has shaft play, I would warranty it out in any event.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:14 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like one of the internal valves is allowing fluid to leak past it.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:43 PM
SteveR
Captain

I suppose I will order a new pump and have a chat with Red Head in the spring. The van is buried in snow and will continue to be for the next couple months.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 PM
SteveR
Captain

It turns out the stiff steering was self inflicted. I have made a quick video on how to resolve it.

Quick Reply: Power Steering stiff when turning to passenger side