Replace ac compressor bearings - Page 2 - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Vans & CUVs > Dodge Ram Van
Reload this Page >

Replace ac compressor bearings

Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Replace ac compressor bearings

  #11  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 PM
arty4444
arty4444 is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by ramvan61 View Post
Thank you Alloro that exactly what I wanted to say and did not say....smiling. The last time I did a in depth explanation of the problems that might occur it was ignored. Funny what I said could happen with a patch job did occur the compressor gave out. I will not with a respond childish come backs, people here act too professional with their questions and answers. I will not sully the rep of this forum with a tit for tat. This response is to you Alloro. Again thank you
I'm sure many people who post questions on this sight also research elsewhere. Your advice may not be followed but heeded and appreciated by the questioner who for any number of reasons that you could not be aware of makes their own choice to proceed other than the manner you suggest. With your input I still charged my AC myself from the low side weighing the risks which you and others made me aware of against the possible damage and costs I have become used to when I take my van to a shop here and in my case just before a long planned road trip. My trip went fine with AC working. My gamble paid off at that point as far as I'm concerned. You could not know at this point many more thousands of miles later
that my charge then caused my current problem and if it did I was forewarned and knowing in the decision I made.
For you to post now in essence chiding me for my decision is uninformed and immature. So you might want to keep that mean spirited "I told you so" holstered- or not if that's your thing. Nobody has to follow anybody's advice on this site and the responders I have come to know before you would simply still give advice on the current problem without researching- "wait, isn't this that guy I told a year ago to...". Who does that? Really man ask yourself that question.
 
  #12  
Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM
alloro
alloro is offline
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,605
Default

Let's get back on topic so this thread doesn't have to get locked, okay!
 
  #13  
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM
arty4444
arty4444 is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Let's get back on topic so this thread doesn't have to get locked, okay!
Will do and thanks for the leeway we were given to get our side issue expressed.
 
  #14  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Widebody's Avatar
Widebody
Widebody is offline
Amateur
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Nevada
Posts: 41
Default

Not sure what the original posters budget is but a new compressor can be had for $100. Last summer I ended up buying a new compressor from rock auto as well as a new condensor and expansion valve. I called a mobile mechanic to make the fix. Total labor was about $180.
 
  #15  
Old 02-06-2019, 06:01 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 55,292
Default

Since the compressor has basically failed, or, is at least well on its way toward failure, replace the compressor, orfice tube, receiver/dryer, and flush the system thoroughly before putting it back together........
 
  #16  
Old 02-06-2019, 07:22 PM
arty4444
arty4444 is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 77
Default

Thanks very much Widebody and HeyYou. Along with previous info I now have a good idea what needs to be replaced and the importance of flushing. A come to you mechanic is something I hadn't thought of and really helpful advice. I can keep an eye on the work and verify such things as the flush. Also I'll feel much better with that type of mechanic over a large shop. I thought I was looking at thousands but for hundreds there is no way I want to do this myself. I may sound paranoid about bad or dishonest mechanics but know in some urban areas the person needing repairs is basically considered a mark and do my best to not be one.
Thanks
 
  #17  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM
alloro
alloro is offline
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,605
Default

Originally Posted by Widebody View Post
but a new compressor can be had for $100.
New or rebuilt?
 
  #18  
Old 02-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Widebody's Avatar
Widebody
Widebody is offline
Amateur
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Nevada
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by alloro View Post
New or rebuilt?
Was new last year. I see Rock Auto prices have all gone up. If you search hard enough, most online are in the $200 range but there are a couple that are about $150 for brand new.

I had the compressor, condenser, air dryer, and expansion valve replaced.

Just for reference to the OP, I had a new compressor installed at a shop little over a year prior. I didnt know much about AC then. My AC quit working and I brought to a repair shop and they said I need a new compressor and pressure switches. Was $900 plus dollar repair. Little over a year, AC compressor starts squeeling really loud. I brought back to original shop and they said warranty is only good for year. They had it all day, and said don't know what's wrong, and think the alternator is not putting out enough apps for the compressor and wanted to keep it for more days. I left with my van and researched myself. Youtube videos matched my compressor clutch going out, and I tested my alternator which was fine. I ordered all my own parts and called "wrench" or something like that to make an appointment. I did it all online and it gives you an estimate for the repair type you are looking for. The tech took about 1.25 hours to fix everything.
 
  #19  
Old 02-08-2019, 04:43 PM
arty4444
arty4444 is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by Widebody View Post
Was new last year. I see Rock Auto prices have all gone up. If you search hard enough, most online are in the $200 range but there are a couple that are about $150 for brand new.

I had the compressor, condenser, air dryer, and expansion valve replaced.

Just for reference to the OP, I had a new compressor installed at a shop little over a year prior. I didnt know much about AC then. My AC quit working and I brought to a repair shop and they said I need a new compressor and pressure switches. Was $900 plus dollar repair. Little over a year, AC compressor starts squeeling really loud. I brought back to original shop and they said warranty is only good for year. They had it all day, and said don't know what's wrong, and think the alternator is not putting out enough apps for the compressor and wanted to keep it for more days. I left with my van and researched myself. Youtube videos matched my compressor clutch going out, and I tested my alternator which was fine. I ordered all my own parts and called "wrench" or something like that to make an appointment. I did it all online and it gives you an estimate for the repair type you are looking for. The tech took about 1.25 hours to fix everything.
So they want to put in a new alternator knowing it won't fix the belt driven compressor (except for clutch which battery power alone could activate). And then what a new PCM?
So much money is stolen, damage done, time lost and personal harm done by so many mechanics seems there has to be a business opportunity for some kind of repair advocacy. If I were rich a packing brute with an alligator would accompany my ride throughout the repair with a live remote video feed to an over qualified techie assisted with "spot the con" auto repair software.
 
  #20  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:56 AM
alloro
alloro is offline
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,605
Default

Originally Posted by arty4444 View Post
So much money is stolen, damage done, time lost and personal harm done by so many mechanics seems there has to be a business opportunity for some kind of repair advocacy.
This is why I educated all of my sisters about car basics when they started driving, I didn't want any mechanics to be able to take advantage. There's an old saying that goes, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace ac compressor bearings


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: