Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Brakes Shaking when Braking Going downhill (Possibly Need new Rotors/Pads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:06 AM
ramvan20
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Shaking when Braking Going downhill (Possibly Need new Rotors/Pads)

This Weekend I tested out my DIY Converted Van and went over 2 large mountains here in PA (Hills for you folks out west). When I was going down the hill and I brake the brake pedal needs alot of force to stop and the pedal shakes like the rotors are warped. On the drive back it was raining and when braking it felt better and there was not as much shaking.

From this I came to the conclusion that I may need some new pads and rotors on the van. Can someone confirm this may be the issue or what I should do to debug?

I have a 96 Ram Van 2500 with the 5.2 liter Engine.

If this is the case should I just get new rotors and pads or should I get new bearing and seals and all that too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2019, 03:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Pull the front tires, and inspect the brakes. If the pads are getting thin, replace them. If they look old, and beat up, replace them.

If your van has actual bearings/races that you can replace, I would be REAL tempted to do so, and I always do new seals if I pull the rotors off.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace those rubber flex lines to the caliper too while it's all apart, they're not bad cost wise. Cheaper to do now then later

Old 05-15-2019, 02:51 PM
ramvan20
Amateur

Thanks for the details yall! I will get the parts ordered and start on this here soon before my first big trip in Mid June. Do you have any references on how to do this Ive done many brake jobs but they were just the rotor and pads so not familiar with the bearings and races. I did some google searching and looks like not alot of details with the 2500s. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2019, 05:55 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Without a bearing press, it might just be worth it for you to pull the hubs and take them to a Napa machine shop or whatever is local to you and have them remove and press the new ones in correct. Take em home and put it all back together.
Thinking when it comes time for mine, that's what I will do, the cost would be worth the lack of knowledge, time n effort I'd have to put into the job.

Last edited by JFloors; 05-16-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by JFloors
Without a bearing press, it might just be worth it for you to pull the hubs and take them to a Napa machine shop or whatever is local to you and have them remove and press the new ones in correct. Take em home and put it all back together.
Thinking when it comes time for mine, that's what I will do, the cost would be worth the lack of knowledge, time n effort I'd have to put into the job.
Knocking out the old races, and driving the new ones in is cake. Just need a long enough punch to drive 'em out, as you have to go after 'em from the opposite side, and I just use a large socket to drive in the new ones. Check of 2x4 to knock the seal into place. (I don't like hammering directly on the seal, they are pretty flimsy.....) New rotors will usually come with races installed in any event. (just, no bearings, or seal. )

Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Good info, thanks HeyYou.
The older I get the more I look for an easier way out of something that looks hard but really is not.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:14 AM
ramvan20
Amateur

Hey Everyone, I finally got around to replacing the Rotors, Pads, Seals, Bearings and Had to get 2 new calipers too as they were sticking. Here are some photos of the work finished up. https://photos.app.goo.gl/PoDQDVCmGKf4or868

I did bleed only the front brakes but the brakes are still spongy or at least take a little push before they engage. Should I bleed in the right order or is this just normal since its such an old vehicle?

Old 06-06-2019, 07:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Bleed ALL the brakes, making sure to flush out all the old fluid. Careful with those rear bleeders, they like to break off, not break loose. Hit 'em with chems a couple times over the course of a couple days, to give the chems a chance to work.

Did you replace the soft lines up front as well? If you didn't, I would be REAL tempted to do so.

Quick Reply: Brakes Shaking when Braking Going downhill (Possibly Need new Rotors/Pads)