Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission sounds like Chewbacca

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 04:03 PM
HiTop
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission sounds like Chewbacca

I just got my van back with a fully rebuilt transmission and it runs fine but when I put it in reverse and idle it with my foot on the brakes it makes a light whining sound. All my research leans to fluid delivery such as the filter, line or oil pump or torque converter. I took it back to the shop and even though It has done it every single time I have started it, as you might expect they couldn’t recreate it. I went up there just now to show them and yeah you guessed it... it doesn’t do it... the guy says there is a rubber check ball in the Tranny line by the radiator and sometimes it will do that when it is cold and the “90% of all Dodges do that” line comes out his mouth. Nevermind mine never did until now.

So so the question is, has anyone ever heard about this check ball nonsense?

Old 07-30-2019, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I am familiar with the check ball, that is one that is suggested to be removed/drilled out, as it can clog, and overheat your trans.

How loud is it whining? Does it still do it? What year/engine/trans?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It is hard to say until you put 500 miles on the rebuild.

Whining like that is sometimes the TC. Also it could have the wrong fluid in it.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 PM
HiTop
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am familiar with the check ball, that is one that is suggested to be removed/drilled out, as it can clog, and overheat your trans.

How loud is it whining? Does it still do it? What year/engine/trans?
The van is in the pics and everything is in my post as far as when it happens, I picked it up today and going to see how it does. I will be installing a new line that's for sure. i doubt a transmission shop would put the wrong fluid in it. Time will tell I guess.

Quick Reply: Transmission sounds like Chewbacca