Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1999 RAM Van 1500 frame replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 01:15 PM
Paul R Nitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 RAM Van 1500 frame replacement

I have a very low mileage ram of van conversion that the frame is rotted out on. It's in areas that make it impossible to weld. Is anybody reproducing this frame or does anybody know where I could get one from a salvaged vehicle that's in decent condition? I'm in lower Delaware but certainly willing to travel a reasonable distance to get the right part

Old 01-31-2020, 09:54 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Im not a body expert, but I don't think that it can be done considering the hybrid frame/unibody structure the van is...
Hopefully, someone knows more.
Maybe cutting the 'frame' portion out and welding it in could work?

Old 02-01-2020, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

What part of the frame? Can you post pics?

Old 02-02-2020, 07:02 PM
James Siebold
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a late model RAM van for sale here in TN where the guy said the frame rotted near the control arm. My 01 seems to have rust in weird places. Normally cars don't rust like this anymore down south. My 84 B150 has very little rust compared to my 01. Were the later models just more sepetible to rust than the earlier models? The later models also seem to rust on the driver's side rocker in the center. Like dirt gets packed in there and the water can't drain.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:59 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by James Siebold
Normally cars don't rust like this anymore down south.
Maybe it came from up north or was in a minor flood.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:05 PM
James Siebold
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Maybe it came from up north or was in a minor flood.
That's what I wondered. One area on my van that needs attention is where the rear seat bolts to the floor. Both sides. Its got these brackets with carriage bolts that runs through the floor. Underneath where they go through, I can see rust and press down on the floor in these areas and here a crunch. I also removed the passenger headlight to connect a vacuum hose to the reservoir globe and found a rust hole behind in the panel behind the bumper.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:12 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

um.... there isn't really a frame... and where is it rusted? drivers side just behind the left front wheel? I had significant rot through not far from there . It looked like the rain could run under the hood and rinse across the top of the battery... or if battery vent would leak down... either way, that's a really good way for serious rust to develop...

cutting and welding is probably the only realistic option - unless you're going to try and section the whole front subframe assembly...

is it really rotted so badly that it can't be somehow reinforced or repaired? There's a lot of metal in there (I cut sections of mine apart on my 99 1500)

Note that for rigidity, I welded 3/16 steel plate to the unibody as well... ;-)

Last edited by wca_tim; 02-10-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:36 PM
mitch1287
Exclamation 1998-2003 dodge ram van frame replacement

I think most of the commenters are referring to google or other sources and are wrong. I own a 1999 dodge ram mark iii 1500 passenger van 5.2 ltr automatic in north eastern Maryland so of course front of frame rotted so bad steering gear is hanging by tie rods. Even though most specs say its a unibody or subframe it actually has a 1 solid frame that can be removed with work, im doing the frame swap on mine now. Of course motor and trans have to come out first. you need a chasis with 127.2 inch wheel base and of course with any build there will be some modification. Im actually using an older 4x4 truck chasis because why not its cool and triples your vans value. when i mate the body to the donor ill reply with any updates that may help you.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:35 PM
CoachMack125
Default What donor car

Originally Posted by mitch1287
I think most of the commenters are referring to google or other sources and are wrong. I own a 1999 dodge ram mark iii 1500 passenger van 5.2 ltr automatic in north eastern Maryland so of course front of frame rotted so bad steering gear is hanging by tie rods. Even though most specs say its a unibody or subframe it actually has a 1 solid frame that can be removed with work, im doing the frame swap on mine now. Of course motor and trans have to come out first. you need a chasis with 127.2 inch wheel base and of course with any build there will be some modification. Im actually using an older 4x4 truck chasis because why not its cool and triples your vans value. when i mate the body to the donor ill reply with any updates that may help you.
what donor car are you using?

Old 07-21-2022, 08:38 PM
CoachMack125

Originally Posted by Paul R Nitz
I have a very low mileage ram of van conversion that the frame is rotted out on. It's in areas that make it impossible to weld. Is anybody reproducing this frame or does anybody know where I could get one from a salvaged vehicle that's in decent condition? I'm in lower Delaware but certainly willing to travel a reasonable distance to get the right part
check where the air conditioner drips I just repelled Frame and steering to frame after it rusted off the air conditioner drips right on the frame on passenger side on my 2002 in front of coil spring I need to send it a different direction

Quick Reply: 1999 RAM Van 1500 frame replacement