Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need info about wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 08:04 PM
Jack's Van
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info about wheels

I signed up today so I could seek info for my neighbor. He is even "worserer" than I am when it comes to computers.

Jack has a 2003 conversion van that currently has 18" wheels. The original owners reported ordering the vehicle with these wheels when they ordered from Elk. I assume the wheels are aftermarket since they don't seem to be Mopar products.
While this van was purchased in great condition and has barely seen a day of snow, Jack now needs to use it for winter driving and hopes to get a set of extra wheels and studded snow tires as he had for his recently decommissioned 2003 conversion van.
The snow tires went with that vehicle.

I'm not familiar with Chrysler products and I'm finding confusing info on-line.

A sticker that I believe is from Elk when they converted the van in 2004 shows P245/75R16 tires on 16x7 rims @ 35psi.
The spare may be factory original and is P245/75R16, and I have no idea what rim width.
When I looked at a website for Dodge Parts it seems to show the factory wheels should be 16x6.5, not 16x7. That site didn't offer details about tire specs.
I believe they should be 5-lug on 5.5 spacing. Is that the same as 139.7mm?
Based on our experience with the other van plus on-line research it looks like the lug nuts should be 1/2-20 threads.

It looks like van wheels have a different offset than Ram trucks, even though the wheels may otherwise be the same, maybe including their load rating. (10mm vs 20 or 25mm?)
Should I be concerned to avoid pick-up truck wheels?

If I look on-line (i.e. Craigslist) or head to a U-Pull-It junk yard ---- what type of vehicle and what years are compatible with Jack's 2003 1500 RamVan?
I doubt I'll find 4 basic steel wheels, so we may end up looking at some version of alloy or shiny steel wheel. I'm hoping lug nuts won't be a problem depending on the configuration of the donor vehicle.
I'm guessing 2003 was the end of this product line.

Is it as important to put snow tires on all four wheels as I've been told, or can we get away with only studded snow tires on the back wheels as us old farts have done for many years?

Any help you folks can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

See if you can find out what backspacing the van wheels had originally, and stick with 16" wheels, with the same backspacing. I don't think rim width will matter overmuch. You can put snows on just the rear, but, steering ability will be limited by the traction of whatever tires you have on the front.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:21 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
See if you can find out what backspacing the van wheels had originally, and stick with 16" wheels, with the same backspacing. I don't think rim width will matter overmuch. You can put snows on just the rear, but, steering ability will be limited by the traction of whatever tires you have on the front.
agreed

Quick Reply: Need info about wheels