Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Found another van!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 PM
James Siebold
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Found another van!

So after looking for a stick shift van for quite some time a month after I bought my 2001, this 1984 4 speed/ slant 6 pops up on Facebook classifieds. Just my luck.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Since the guy installing the used Dakota engine in my 01 hasn't quite started on it, I was thinking about just picking it up and sticking a resistor in the oil pressure guage connector so it reads 40 pounds no matter what and run it through one of those local auctions. The seller wouldn't know the history of the vehicle and it had a rod knock until they got it up to 55 mph. I know two wrongs don't make a right.

Looks like I'm going to have double what I paid for the 2001 model after all is said and done. And I am taking a gamble on this used engine I'm putting in it.

So I'm not real sure what to do. I like my black 2001 van but have really been wanting a stick shift and with all the computer crap they put on these new vehicles, converting my 01 to a 5 speed maybe more trouble than it's worth unless I convert it to a carburetor to get around any feedback issues the ECU may pickup not seeing an automatic behind the engine.

I'm going to at least look at the 84 model. The guy says it's not perfect. It needs a tuneup.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Wow, that's REALLY clean. At least, as far as I can tell from the pics......

Actually, doing the conversion on the 01 wouldn't be that bad. Put in the trans of your choice, make a few wiring changes, then have the PCM flashed for the correct engine, and manual trans. No trans codes that way.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:25 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

All you need to do is throw a crate, engine only PCM motor in it and you would have a blank canvas...
That one pictured could be a uber cool van.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:10 AM
James Siebold
Rookie

Well this one is already complete. I'm not sure how I'd work out the clutch pedal on the 01 model. I have yet to figure out if a clutch pedal from a D-series truck would work. Or if there is some modification I could do to the '01 pedal assembly like adding a longer bolt and a clutch pedal from a Dakota or something.

He seems a bit wacky when I talked to him on the phone but aren't we all in some ways. Although he did seem honest . Stuff like it leaks some oil, needs a valve cover and oil pan gaskets. Which is no big deal. Allot better than needing an engine rebuild from a rod knocking! Anything is easier than needing an engine rebuild.

Same braking issue as my 01, slightly pulls to the left under braking. Even after I paid that shop $300 to fix the dragging rear brakes, it still pulled to the left at times! Of course than could be an easy fix like greasing the caliper sliders or maybe a worn tie rod end.

He advertised it had 99,400 miles on it but says he thinks it's higher. Like maybe near 200,000 miles.

It's an in-line 6 cylinder motor so that means one head gasket, one valve cover less than a V6. And this was before Chrysler pushed the engine forward a bit to reduce the size of the doghouse. So technically the engine in this van should be easier to work on.

He says it has a one barrel carb on it. I'd much rather have a carb than fuel injection so that's another plus. It doesn't have power steering either but yet that's another thing not to have to worry about. The seal in the steering gear box on my 98 Chevy van is leaking power steering fluid and making a mess!

Only thing about it that makes me wonder is he says the van won't go more than 65 mph on the interstate due to the slant 6 being under powered and having a four speed trying to push a heavy van around. Does that sound typical of this setup? Or could it be like he says it needs a tune-up or the engine is tired from loss of compression?

This maybe apples to oranges but the second job I had , I worked for an office interior place and we had an 82 Chevrolet G-series van with an in-line 6 and a 3 speed in the floor (converted). This thing was a pig. One day I was trying to pull out onto the road off a 30 degree incline and I kept stalling the van. After 3 or 4 times, I revved the engine up and just popped the clutch. The funny thing was from what I remember the vehicle didn't develop any tire spin! It just slowly chugged along until it made it out on to the road. So maybe he is right.

I think the photo with the white box on top is the most current. He says this is a 12 volt air conditioner. And that he was going to make a camper van out of it. That thing might have to come off in order for me to get this van in my garage. Since my wife is not into camping, scratch that idea using this to camp in.

If you notice the other side photo has a "black box" and no hubcaps. He told me this van was a former telephone company service vehicle and it had one of those yellow light beacon things on the roof and it developed a leak and molded the insulation so he ripped out the rear interior.

I'm going to take a look at it regardless. Not every day a stick shift van comes along. It might be worth buying anyway in case this used engine the guy is putting in my 01 turns out to be a dud. That's my worst fear.
Then decide whether I want to keep the 84 or sell it.

I kind of like the black '02 van better to be honest. It's got a better interior. But I like the round headlights and grill of the 84 model better!

Last edited by James Siebold; 12-20-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:38 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hopefully you buy the 84 with your hard earned cash and find someone installed a resistor in the oil pressure guage connector so it reads 40 pounds no matter what

Last edited by Busted Nuckles; 12-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Xombi (12-22-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 01:17 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

FWIW putting a carb motor in a late model vehicle can be, depending on state and city:
1. Illegal
2. Un-register-able
3. Will not pass emissions anywhere
4. Un-tradealbe...
5. Possibly un-sellable

So if you are planning to keep it forever in a state, say like Florida (no inspections, no emissions) then go for it Still it would be easier to throw a crate motor in the old van.
Yes top speed with the I6 would be 70-75...that's it...especially in the late model which is heavier than the 84.
I would just fix your 01. - cheers!

Old 12-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default engine swap

the guy i bought my trans core from had a good running 318 for 200 out of an 02 van. glen burnie md van had 108 k mi

Old 12-27-2019, 03:53 PM
jumper.cables
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet van! Is the amp gauge still connected?

Old 12-28-2019, 03:59 PM
James Siebold
Rookie

Originally Posted by ElkCon
FWIW putting a carb motor in a late model vehicle can be, depending on state and city:
1. Illegal
2. Un-register-able
3. Will not pass emissions anywhere
4. Un-tradealbe...
5. Possibly un-sellable

So if you are planning to keep it forever in a state, say like Florida (no inspections, no emissions) then go for it Still it would be easier to throw a crate motor in the old van.
Yes top speed with the I6 would be 70-75...that's it...especially in the late model which is heavier than the 84.
I would just fix your 01. - cheers!
I Iive in Tennessee and there is no inspection system.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:04 PM
James Siebold
Rookie

Originally Posted by jumper.cables
Sweet van! Is the amp gauge still connected?
Yes. I bought the 84 model. I like it much better than my 01. I got to put a starter on it and fix either the front brakes or a tie rod end. It pulls to the left under braking. And a V-belt on it. Other than that just some little things.

And the slant 6 engine doesn't knock. Only one rust spot on it.

Last edited by James Siebold; 12-28-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Found another van!