Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

PCM Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 09:22 AM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PCM Question

Hi, I have a 2001 DRM 3500 5.9L.
Thru eBay I recently purchased a used PCM from a Seller who requires your old PCM part no., VIN no., and current mileage to "flash" it for my van. I bought one from this Seller 2 years ago that has worked fine for many miles and thought I might now have a problem with it but turned out to be something else.
I would prefer to keep this new (used) PCM as a backup for future use if needed but the longer it just sits in storage my van mileage will increase about 10,000 mi. a year. My question is how important to a replacement PCM is your actual mileage compared to what it was "flashed" to. Like what could I expect if I put this new PCM in like 30,000 mi.s up the road? Would it have to be reflashed?
Thanks in advance for any response.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Only if you want your odometer to be accurate...... I always thought the cluster remembered that.... maybe I am just getting it confused with GM systems....

Old 02-09-2020, 10:22 AM
arty4444
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Only if you want your odometer to be accurate...... I always thought the cluster remembered that.... maybe I am just getting it confused with GM systems....
I don't know if the one time I replaced the PCM it changed my odometer. It seems strange that it would as unscrupulous dealers could reduce the mileage for a sale but there must be some reason the Seller of the PCM asked for the current mileage. I'll contact him and if I can find out the reason mileage needed will post it.
Thanks

Old 02-09-2020, 11:28 AM
arty4444
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Got this response to my question from eBay Seller;

"""Most Chrysler vehicles have no issues with the mileage on the PCM not matching the vehicle. But in some cases it can cause an odometer error or emissions test failure as the PCM mileage does not match the odometer."""

Old 02-09-2020, 11:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by arty4444
Got this response to my question from eBay Seller;

"""Most Chrysler vehicles have no issues with the mileage on the PCM not matching the vehicle. But in some cases it can cause an odometer error or emissions test failure as the PCM mileage does not match the odometer."""
Ah, now that seems reasonable...... Things have gotten more complicated since I was in the game.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:51 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a spare cluster for my van that I took out of the donor van.
When I swapped it for fun, it showed the other vans mileage.
I went through two PCMs when the 3.9 was in it and it never changed the mileage. Useless trivia - I found out by accident that most like PCMs will run the motor, but would only show codes if it was from a unlike motor. This was when I had a few PCMs from various places.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:26 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by arty4444
My question is how important to a replacement PCM is your actual mileage compared to what it was "flashed" to. Like what could I expect if I put this new PCM in like 30,000 mi.s up the road? Would it have to be reflashed?
The mileage is stored in the cluster, not the PCM, also the PCM doesn't care what VIN is programmed into it. You can swap a used PCM into your van without any programming as long as the part numbers match.

Quick Reply: PCM Question