Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1994 Dodge B350 5.9l INTERMITTENT STALLING...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 08:04 PM
Mona Halaweh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Dodge B350 5.9l INTERMITTENT STALLING...Help!

Hello all, I've been chasing a beast of an intermittent stalling issue in a 1994 Dodge B350 5.9L for longer than I really want to admit(over a year) and can't seem to hunt it down and I need HELP.
It is extremely intermittent, generally happens when accelerating and is indifferent about speed/ambient temperature it seems. Strong fuel odor upon start up but generally clears as I drive. Most recent stall was going 70 on the highway. It completely cut out and i coasted to the shoulder. It will crank but not turn over for between a few minutes to a few hours then finally start up. I checked for CEL codes and got nothing while relaxing on the side of the highway. I have power on the dash and have periodically tested battery voltage and voltage is in spec both with vehicle off and when being charged by alternator. I can hear the fuel pump prime as well.SO....here's the laundry list of things that I have replaced:

-crankshaft sensor
-camshaft sensor
-distributor cap, wires, spark plugs
-fuel injectors
-fuel pump
-MAP sensor
-Throttle position sensor
-coolant temp sensors
-Idle air control valve
-Intake air temperature sensor
-PCV valve
-crankcase breather filter
-air filter
-battery
-alternator
-Cleaned throttle body
-had ECM cleaned/tested. Only thing they found to do was replace capacitors(more of a courtesy than necessity I believe)

I THINK that's everything, My next date is with a bottle of electronics cleaner to clean the wiring harness to the ECM and quadruple check that it is snugly connected. I am wondering about ignition switch, ASD relay(though I have both tested voltage and continuity and it seems fine) clogged EGR valve choking out the engine. This is obviously getting to be an expensive project but I'm heartbroken to give it up because I have converted it to a camper and I've put a LOT of work into it. I've taken it to multiple mechanics and they kind of just shrug and move on. ANY HELP would be GREATLY apprecited. If you need anymore information to make an educated guess by all means, let me know. Thanks!!!

Old 03-04-2020, 10:04 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mona Halaweh
-crankshaft sensor
-camshaft sensor
-distributor cap, wires, spark plugs
-fuel injectors
-fuel pump
-MAP sensor
-Throttle position sensor
-coolant temp sensors
-Idle air control valve
-Intake air temperature sensor
-PCV valve
-crankcase breather filter
-air filter
-battery
-alternator
-Cleaned throttle body
-had ECM cleaned/tested.
Ignition coil?

Old 03-04-2020, 10:12 AM
Mona Halaweh

I am looking into a new ignition coil again. I know at the beginning of this I installed a new one and started the van up and it ran ROUGH so I put the stock coil back on. Certainly worth re-visiting though. Do you have any recommendations on aftermarket brand? I feel like I've seen quite a few folks say MSD. Also going to re-visit the quality/condition of the distributor and its components, so if you have any recommendation on afternarket brand for distributor cap,wires, rotors etc that'd be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2020, 05:59 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

When it dies, I would check to see if you have spark and go from there. I would isolate the problem to either fuel or ignition first.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:09 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mona Halaweh
Do you have any recommendations on aftermarket brand?
Just get a stock one, nothing fancy.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:20 PM
Mona Halaweh

Originally Posted by Busted Nuckles
When it dies, I would check to see if you have spark and go from there. I would isolate the problem to either fuel or ignition first.
So I FINALLY got it to stall in a place I could test, so I ran to the parts store to grab a spark tester...NO spark while cranking. Given everything else that's been replaced in it, still thinking ignition coil? I have one arriving tomorrow

Old 03-05-2020, 09:18 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Im willing to bet its the pickup coil in the distributor. Its a 20 dollar part and simple to change too.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Busted Nuckles
Im willing to bet its the pickup coil in the distributor. Its a 20 dollar part and simple to change too.
On the 94, the pickup coil has nothing to do with ignition. It controls injector timing. No spark is going to be crank sensor, or coil.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:36 PM
peppster66
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 97 B3500. and it turned out to be the ignition coil, the mechanic was amazing, he told me to always carry a spare coil as these vans were known to go through coils quite quickly, ive carried a spare one since then and yes it saved me one time already...hope this helps,,,take care,,,

The following users liked this post:
ElkCon (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 07:49 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by peppster66
I had a similar issue with my 97 B3500. and it turned out to be the ignition coil, the mechanic was amazing, he told me to always carry a spare coil as these vans were known to go through coils quite quickly, ive carried a spare one since then and yes it saved me one time already...hope this helps,,,take care,,,
I carry one of those plus a crankshaft position sensor. Both have saved my butt

Quick Reply: 1994 Dodge B350 5.9l INTERMITTENT STALLING...Help!