Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Notchy/vague shifting feel in 1989 manual transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by B150 Shift_Head
Hey do you have any leads where I can get a shift improver kit? I think ,mine is just worn out. It's just so sloppy. I can engage in all gears, its just finding the gears is a problem because the stick has so much slop in it.
Replace the various bushings for the shifter.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:12 PM
89RamVan
Amateur
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was able to take the exterior cosmetic boot off to get a better view of the gear shifter trying to find each gear. I think my linkage is so sloppy that I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and then straight to 5th?

​​​​​​https://imgur.com/gallery/VVNWxCO
Yes, I believe you are in upshifting from 2nd directly to 5th because of the play in the shifter. If the pin is out on the 3/4 shift rail, you will just feel extra slop because the shifter cant engage in the middle. I saw a message about how to get the lower shift boot off. Do NOT pry it off with a screwdriver. The shifter, boot, and top plate with those 4 bolts in your pic removes the shifter as an assembly. If you pry that lower boot off, water will get into the transmission. I believe your problem is either the pin in the 3/4 rail or the shifter, which you can buy as 1 part number if still available. I believe they were the same for the trucks & Dakotas, so maybe you can find one online new or used.

From where you're at in the pic, place shifter in neutral, remove those 4 bolts, lift the shifter/boot/plate out & have a look. I used a bead of Permatex when I reassembled mine. Transmission oil shoots up there.

Pic of my underbody, magnify the blue bead of Permatex. That's the shifter assembly that comes out whole. Forgive the oil leak -she's 35 years old!

BTW, You're pics & description are confusing because you say it's a 4-speed, then later say it's a 3-speed. Older Dodge van 4 speeds have the shifter like right next to the driver's seat & have linkage like @HeyYou was talking about. To my knowledge, only 5-speeds were offered as factory stock for 1989 vans. Your shifter pic does look like a 5-speed, which is in the center behind the doghouse.

Attached Thumbnails Notchy/vague shifting feel in 1989 manual transmission.-dscf1985.jpg  

Last edited by 89RamVan; 03-18-2024 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add pic
The following users liked this post:
B150 Shift_Head (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:14 PM
89RamVan
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replace the various bushings for the shifter.
I don't believe there are bushings on this shifter. There is no outside linkage like the 4-speed manual. Shifter sits directly on top of the gearbox & all internal parts.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:59 PM
B150 Shift_Head
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 89RamVan
Yes, I believe you are in upshifting from 2nd directly to 5th because of the play in the shifter. If the pin is out on the 3/4 shift rail, you will just feel extra slop because the shifter cant engage in the middle. I saw a message about how to get the lower shift boot off. Do NOT pry it off with a screwdriver. The shifter, boot, and top plate with those 4 bolts in your pic removes the shifter as an assembly. If you pry that lower boot off, water will get into the transmission. I believe your problem is either the pin in the 3/4 rail or the shifter, which you can buy as 1 part number if still available. I believe they were the same for the trucks & Dakotas, so maybe you can find one online new or used.

From where you're at in the pic, place shifter in neutral, remove those 4 bolts, lift the shifter/boot/plate out & have a look. I used a bead of Permatex when I reassembled mine. Transmission oil shoots up there.

Pic of my underbody, magnify the blue bead of Permatex. That's the shifter assembly that comes out whole. Forgive the oil leak -she's 35 years old!

BTW, You're pics & description are confusing because you say it's a 4-speed, then later say it's a 3-speed. Older Dodge van 4 speeds have the shifter like right next to the driver's seat & have linkage like @HeyYou was talking about. To my knowledge, only 5-speeds were offered as factory stock for 1989 vans. Your shifter pic does look like a 5-speed, which is in the center behind the doghouse.
I was able to remove the outside boot and SLOWLY try to find each gear and was able to find 3rd and 4th, to my relief. Yes it's a 5 speed and a sloppy one at that. When I'm blasting down the road it is really hard to find the right gear. This weekend I'm going to remove the 4 screws on the top plate and have a look around. Thank you for your reply.

89RamVan (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 11:06 PM
89RamVan
Amateur

Hey do you have any leads where I can get a shift improver kit? I think ,mine is just worn out. It's just so sloppy. I can engage in all gears, its just finding the gears is a problem because the stick has so much slop in it.
I looked online but a few places list the part as discontinued. Here's a link to factory Chrysler parts. You can see the shifter assembly in the diagram. The part number for the NP2500/A535 trans shifter is 04338332, but discontinued on their site.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...ssembly=568781

B150 Shift_Head (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 11:09 PM
89RamVan
Amateur

I was able to remove the outside boot and SLOWLY try to find each gear and was able to find 3rd and 4th, to my relief. Yes it's a 5 speed and a sloppy one at that. When I'm blasting down the road it is really hard to find the right gear. This weekend I'm going to remove the 4 screws on the top plate and have a look around. Thank you for your reply.

If you can engage all the gears, the shift rail pins must still be in. Your choice on whether to remove the shifter now for a look or wait until you find a replacement shifter.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:20 AM
B150 Shift_Head

Originally Posted by 89RamVan
If you can engage all the gears, the shift rail pins must still be in. Your choice on whether to remove the shifter now for a look or wait until you find a replacement shifter.
I'm gonna take a peek. I need to see what's lurking under there. It's driving me crazy. I'm wondering if I can cannabilize a shifter from these parts and make it work

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-19-2024, 01:12 AM
B150 Shift_Head
Old 03-19-2024, 08:58 PM
89RamVan
Amateur

I'm gonna take a peek. I need to see what's lurking under there. It's driving me crazy. I'm wondering if I can cannabilize a shifter from these parts and make it work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4G0PS7G4&psc=1

Be sure to take a pic when the shifter's off.

I thought I posted pics of my '89 Ram Van on my profile page, but nothing there. Here's a couple pics of mine. I'm the original owner. It has the 5300 lb GVWR package which ups the cargo to 1300 lb from 1000 (half ton). It also has the Long Range package which included the 35 gallon tank (really hurts to fill it now), chrome bumpers/grill/taillight bezels (otherwise you got white, no matter what color van), and the stainless wheel covers. I added everything else. I was a bit nervous cutting the hole in the roof - 1st time. Striping, window tint, running boards, roof rack & ladder. It has 4 seats + a custom made bed mattress that fits over the wheel wells. Done a lot of camping. I added the gauges over the engine cover + switches for the illuminated running boards & fog lights. Lost count of how many stereo upgrades.

Attached Thumbnails Notchy/vague shifting feel in 1989 manual transmission.-110617_103703.jpg   Notchy/vague shifting feel in 1989 manual transmission.-img_20230506_165520-1-.jpg   Notchy/vague shifting feel in 1989 manual transmission.-110626_144746.jpg  

Last edited by 89RamVan; 03-19-2024 at 09:17 PM.
B150 Shift_Head (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 09:32 PM
B150 Shift_Head

She's beautiful, man! I'm gonna wire in a tach too. Definitely on my list of to do's.

Last edited by B150 Shift_Head; 03-19-2024 at 10:49 PM.
89RamVan (03-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Notchy/vague shifting feel in 1989 manual transmission.