Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Ticking Noise From Doghouse? Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 07:28 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

That bearing job would be tough on a guy like me laying on my back. If you plan to keep the van I would think about pulling the motor to do the lower end but Before you pull the motor I would remove the heads first and you might get lucky and find the issue is on top. If the motor had to come out it would be easier to remove with the intake and heads off of it.

The following users liked this post:
ian94b250 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 09:37 PM
ian94b250
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Busted Nuckles
That bearing job would be tough on a guy like me laying on my back. If you plan to keep the van I would think about pulling the motor to do the lower end but Before you pull the motor I would remove the heads first and you might get lucky and find the issue is on top. If the motor had to come out it would be easier to remove with the intake and heads off of it.
Well, you motivated me to check the valves. I probably did it in the worst way, but I pulled the drivers side valve cover and started the engine (used some old carpet to catch the oil spray.)

Here's a video:

I guess this confirms it's a rod?

Last edited by ian94b250; 07-22-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Changing bearings is actually pretty easy, once you get to them. You are going to want to plastigage them though, and see what clearances are like. Local parts store will sell the stuff.

ian94b250 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hopefully the crank and rod are still ok, let us know your findings.--

ian94b250 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 12:42 PM
ian94b250
Rookie

Well, I think removing the pan and replacing rod bearings is a good place to start. Unfortunately, after extensive use of the good ol' search function, I can't find a clear walk through of the process. I can usually get jobs done with direction, but I'm intimidated after reading some about "crossmembers" needing to be removed and that being a hassle. Is that the case on my B350?

From what I gather, I need to:

Drain oil
Remove 2 motor mounts (Does anything else need to be removed to do this? I need to install a new AC condenser, so could pull that while I'm doing this.)
Lift the engine 4-5" (where should I place the jack for this?)
Support engine and transmission
Remove oil pan (change oil pump with high volume pump and new pick up tube)
Then I need a special tool to pull the bearings and replace them?

Reverse steps to button everything up?

For the Plastigauge, do I need the green one?
Know the clearance specs for the journals?
Torques specs for the bearing caps?

Thanks again for the help. Engine work is all new to me, but I'm really interested in learning more and want to DIY as much as possible as my income is fairly limited. Appreciate your help.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just from memory......

Disconnect battery.
Drain oil.
Remove starter motor.
Remove dust shield on trans.
Loosen engine mount bolts. Raise engine. There may be braces that go from the mounts, to the bellhousing, remove those too.
Remove four million oil pan bolts......
Drop the pan at the back, then wiggle it out.
Remove oil pump and pickup.

Should have access to all rod and main bearings at this point. I would pull the number 1 main bearing cap, clean everything off really well, then plastigage it, see how much clearance you have there. (number 1 is the last to get oil, so, if its ok, the rest are likely ok too.)
Do the same 1 and 2 rod bearings. (they are on the same journal) MARK THE ROD CAPS! They MUST go back on to the same rod you take them off from.
Plastigage those. See what ya got.

If clearances are out of spec, but not TOO far, then just replace the bearings, and oil pump. Make sure the pickup tube is squeaky clean as well. (the mesh just inside the pickup likes to get crudded up, and it's possible that is your whole problem.....) If you end up doing all of them, mark the rod and main caps for location, and orientation. They MUST go back on in the same way. Otherwise, it will munch up the motor first time you start it.......

Last edited by HeyYou; 07-22-2020 at 02:00 PM.
ian94b250 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 05:23 PM
ian94b250
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Just from memory......

Disconnect battery.
Drain oil.
Remove starter motor.
Remove dust shield on trans.
Loosen engine mount bolts. Raise engine. There may be braces that go from the mounts, to the bellhousing, remove those too.
Remove four million oil pan bolts......
Drop the pan at the back, then wiggle it out.
Remove oil pump and pickup.

Should have access to all rod and main bearings at this point. I would pull the number 1 main bearing cap, clean everything off really well, then plastigage it, see how much clearance you have there. (number 1 is the last to get oil, so, if its ok, the rest are likely ok too.)
Do the same 1 and 2 rod bearings. (they are on the same journal) MARK THE ROD CAPS! They MUST go back on to the same rod you take them off from.
Plastigage those. See what ya got.

If clearances are out of spec, but not TOO far, then just replace the bearings, and oil pump. Make sure the pickup tube is squeaky clean as well. (the mesh just inside the pickup likes to get crudded up, and it's possible that is your whole problem.....) If you end up doing all of them, mark the rod and main caps for location, and orientation. They MUST go back on in the same way. Otherwise, it will munch up the motor first time you start it.......
Ok, great. Thanks for that info. Super helpful. Got the bearings ordered and will try to tackle it this weekend and if I can do a write up.

Do I need a special tool to get the bearings in and out?

Where do you recommend placing the Jack to lift the engine?

Old 07-22-2020, 05:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you have a cherry picker (engine crane) lifting somewhere on top, out of your way is best. If not, then on one of the oil pan rails.... Basically, it's gonna be look around and see what'll work. Bearings you can pick out with your fingers. Or, a LITTLE flat head screwdriver. The ones in the top of the rods are going to be the most fun. Remove all the spark plugs to make moving them up a bit MUCH easier.

ian94b250 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:56 PM
ian94b250
Rookie

I got under there and got the job started. So far so good. It doesn't look like there is anywhere to get a jack securely under the engine. Maybe I'll go buy a hoist... Where would I attach the hoist? Never used one... haha

Old 07-22-2020, 07:59 PM
ian94b250
Rookie

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise From Doghouse? Valves?