Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 Ram Van 1500 Intermittent Won’t Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 05:20 PM
Marcus Epler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram Van 1500 Intermittent Won’t Start

Hello everyone. I have a 2000 ram van 1500 v6 with 184k miles. It won’t start intermittently.
-1st time was after not running it for a few days, maybe more. Went to start and it would turn over and crank but not catch. I hit the gas and engine would roar. As soon as I let go of gas it was dead. After a few days I tried to get it running and was able to get it to idle once I “tricked” it into reverse or drive and hitting gas a bunch. Then it was fine and idled fine. Drove to mechanic. Couldn’t reproduce after a few days once he finally got it it.

Drove it 300 miles, then it wouldn’t start after I was trying to get out of driveway because of ice. Started up fine, was shifting and hitting gas in reverse, drive, reverse when trying to get unstuck— Turned it off and then back on and sure enough same thing- wouldn’t start same way as before.

Waited for 4 days to take it to Dodge, and it started fine— they wouldn’t look at it to diagnose since it wasn’t symptomatic. Drove it 50 miles over the weekend, then Monday morning no start at 9am and the same at 5pm. So I towed it to Dodge. 3 days later when they went to diagnose it started up just fine and has for them 5 days in a row when they attempt. Now they want it to sit 5 days till they try to start again.

Any ideas? Throttle position sensor? Fuel pump? Ignition.

Thank you for reading this.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:14 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Remove and reinstall the 3 connectors on the ECM several times. It could be a simple matter of the pins not making a good connection.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:06 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with alloro.
You also may have a CPS going bad - Ive had similar issues like yours too when mine went bad.
Also test your fuel pressue

Old Today, 05:06 PM
jus43438
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkCon
I agree with alloro.
You also may have a CPS going bad - Ive had similar issues like yours too when mine went bad.
Also test your fuel pressue

I put in a new CPS, still the same issue but update: I parked the car after about 10 minutes of driving. Right after I shut it off I heard some sloshing or maybe gurgling sounds coming from the back and it wouldn't start again. I stood up in the back of the van and shook it around until I could hear fuel sloshing around tried it again and it fired right up.

Old Today, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Next time I won't start, kick the bottom of the fuel tank a couple times, then see if it will start.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram Van 1500 Intermittent Won’t Start