Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Ram Van 3500 No Start :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 11:58 AM
Martin Hoisington
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Van 3500 No Start :(

Hello everyone,

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram Van 3500 with the 5.9L V8. I just replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. I was wanting to give it a tune-up since it had been a while since it had one. My van ran for a day and then I went to start it this morning and it started for about 5 seconds and then died. I have yet to get it to start after that. I tested the battery which was found, then I tried starting fluid and with no luck, I also verified I had fuel pressure. I tested for spark by pulling a spark plug and grounding it to the engine and cranked the van, no spark.... I reinstalled the old parts and this did not fix my issue as I still have a no-start situation. What could I have done that has caused this, I feel stupid for trying to maintain my van and then end up breaking it. Thanks for all your ideas and help!

**Solved**
see below

-Marty

Last edited by Martin Hoisington; 01-20-2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: problem solved
Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

What year is your van?

Check the wiring for the crank sensor, it's right behind the passenger side head. (yeah, gotta pull the doghouse again, if it isn't already off. )

Old 01-19-2021, 09:57 PM
Martin Hoisington

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What year is your van?

Check the wiring for the crank sensor, it's right behind the passenger side head. (yeah, gotta pull the doghouse again, if it isn't already off. )
it is a 95. And I'll check that in the morning, thanks!

Old 01-20-2021, 06:39 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I suspect something simple. The only thing you changed that would cause a no start issue might be the coil wire or possibly the cap and rotor not seated correctly. That would be my guess only.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:59 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Use the wire from the coil to test for spark, doing so will take the distributor cap and rotor out of the equation.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:10 PM
Martin Hoisington

I think that you were right. I ended up letting it sit overnight. This morning I took all the wires, cap, and rotor off. I then install all my new parts again making sure I had the spark plug wires right. Within 5 min of doing this, I had a running van again. It must have been something little I did along the way. Thanks for everyone's suggestions they all helped!

Quick Reply: Ram Van 3500 No Start :(